PDA

View Full Version : Black Naped Monarch Flycatcher

Kiran Poonacha
10-27-2009, 07:53 AM
Wished for a better HA, but this is one western ghat beauty real hard to get, its a tiny forest dweller and never out in the open. made this after almost 20 odd leech bites and those forest mosquitos really hurt. Just wanted to share this beauty to the bird lovers around the world.

spec: 1/100, F 5.6, ISO 800, -2/3 *(at that moment all I could think was a just getting a better shutter speed and I stepped down)

Daniel Cadieux
10-27-2009, 08:17 AM
What a wonderful bird!! It's a new one for me, never even heard of it before. I agree about HA, and the perch is a bit thick for this bird's slim physique. A bit of posterization going on in the BG due to compression. Thanks for sharing this beauty!

Kiran Poonacha
10-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Thank you Daniel Bhai, for your kind words and suggestions, The BG looks fine in TIFF any suggestion to avoid posterization.

Daniel Cadieux
10-27-2009, 08:45 AM
My pleasure Kiran. I have no doubt the BG on TIFF looks great. It could be your resizing for web method? Did you need to compromise quality to make the image under 200k (oops, yours is actually a little over that limit)? Here are a couple of threads found in the "Educational Resources" forum that could help:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=839

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18534

Brian Barcelos
10-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Kiran Bhai, What a beautiful bird you have here. The only thing that bothers me is that huge perch, but I'd still love if this was mine. All your techs look great. Congrats

Axel Hildebrandt
10-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Cool-looking bird and I also like the soft light and raised crest. I would tone down the beak and wish the perch were smaller.

Stu Bowie
10-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Now here is a fellow I havent seen before. Interesting shape of the head, and love the colour. Thanks for sharing brother.

denise ippolito
10-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Very interesting looking bird and I like the raised crest also. Nice pose and agree w/ perch comments. Still very nice and I'd love to have it in my files. TFS

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Kiran...awesome capture. I know what you are saying w.r.t the bird. Really hard to get. With these kind of birds, HA, clean BG and all becomes 'asking for too much' most of the times. I am in fact quite surprised that you managed to get that clean of a BG. big congrats.

A little bit warming would make it better I think.

KD

David Fletcher
10-27-2009, 12:31 PM
What a fabulous bird Kiran! First for me and is always good to see new birds. Done very well. Congrats.

subramanya_ck
10-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Beautiful shot Kiran Bhai. I understand how much difficult to catch this birdie due to ts shyness. I waited for a very long time for this bird, but with no luck. Terrific shot you have here.

Fabs Forns
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Very cool bird with an overwhelming perch. Being a difficult bird to get, though, you get him where he perches :)

Kiran Poonacha
10-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Thank you all for your kind words..

Thanks Daniel, will see those links.

Sure KD will try to warm it and see how it looks,

Thanks Again,

Kiran.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks Kiran for sharing this elegant bird.
I also understand you when you say they are shy, here we have some very shy ones!
Love the blue and white combination of its feathers. Some NR on BG is needed.

Daniel Belasco
10-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Well I guess this is about as close as I'll even get to one.
Fantastic image.
Congrats
TFS
dan