PDA

View Full Version : Reflections

Ed Vatza
10-27-2009, 06:22 AM
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0910_TonySweetWorkshopCVNP_158-Edit.jpg

This is an image I made over the weekend at a workshop in Cuyahoga Valley National Park (OH). I really like the color and reflection in this image but it is VERY BUSY. That said, I still find that, despite the busy-ness, it seems to hold my attention. Your thoughts?

Canon 50D; 24-70 2.8L lens; tripod-mounted.

1/2 sec @ f/22; ISO 100; 0 EV

Paul Burgess
10-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Like you said; it's interesting and has great colour, but it's busy. Maybe softer light would help simplify it, or maybe a longish exposure and a breeze. It also looks like just the reflections at this scene could make an interesting shot.

-Paul

Roman Kurywczak
10-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey Ed,
I agree with Paul that it is busy and also agree with his recommendations on the longer exposure........I do find myself drawn to colors and abstracts but the realism presented in your OP is to stark and contrasty.....even though I like that quite often.....Being that you were already at ISO 100 and f22....only way to achieve that motion or blurs was with a solid ND (or Vari).....or even trying a pan or tilt blur with camera movement. I find that men, including myself have a tough time with these type of images and women like Fabs, Denise, and Julie......seem to be able to see them with frightening ease! Maybe it's a left brain, right brain thing......go out and try them (usually takes me 100's of attempts until I get one I kind of like!)......I find them kind of fun when the light is just OK and gives me ideas when they present themselves at other times.

Ed Vatza
10-27-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi Paul, Roman,

I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I will have to wait to see what the ladies have to say. I will admit that there is part of me that still responds positively to this image. Although it is very busy as I said at the outset and you both agree on that, I still see it (maybe because I shot it!) and I generally do not like busy images.

I did have a CP on to get the shutter speed to 1/2 sec. And I do have a Vari-ND which I was using during the workshop for longer exposures. This particular morning was dead still. I could have stretched the exposure to 30 sec and nothing was going to move.

I did, however, do some pans/motion blur which I will get around to posting. I like them better but was interested in hearing feedback on this image first.

I should add that I also have some images of just reflections on the water with a touch of rippling for effect.

denise ippolito
10-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Ed, I think the reflection part is beautiful it has some interest w/ the bits of blue. For me the harsh look of the reeds at the top just doesn't work. I'm interested to see some of your other images.

Ed Vatza
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Just for kicks, I thought I would try a pano crop on just the reflection. I dunno. It just doesn't feel right to me.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0910_TonySweetWorkshopCVNP_158-E-1.jpg

Dave Mills
10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi Ed, Agree with above comments. Another possibility would be to cut the foliage off on top and just have the reeds and reflection. This would make the comp simpler and enable the eye to zero in.

You reposted right before I put up my comment and I didn't see it. I like what you did with the pano but might show a bit more of the reeds....

Ed Vatza
10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Another possibility would be to cut the foliage off on top and just have the reeds and reflection. This would make the comp simpler and enable the eye to zero in.

You reposted right before I put up my comment and I didn't see it. I like what you did with the pano but might show a bit more of the reeds....

I just, JUST finished doing exactly that as your message came up!

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0910_TonySweetWorkshopCVNP_158-E-2.jpg

By the way, the pano above is all reflection.

Dave Mills
10-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Ed, Funny how that sequence came up. To my eye the repost is a stronger image!!

Roman Kurywczak
10-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I kind of like the pano!....more abstract/impressionistic I think the re-post is also nicer.

denise ippolito
10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Ed, The pano looks good flipped upside down-just my opinion though.

Robert Amoruso
10-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Wow,

Lots of great responses here. I downloaded this image this morning but got sidetracked and only got back now. You all beat me to it. I was going to suggest the different crops and as Roman mentioned, a vertical blur. Lowering contrast here too would help IMO.

Hey Roman, I do this blur things all the time - calling me a GIRL. I am even a left-brained kind of a guy! :D;)

Ed Vatza
10-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm interested to see some of your other images.

Since I can only post "one-a-day" here, you can see some of my other images from the workshop in the gallery on my website - http://www.itsmynaturephotography.com/galleries/cuyahoga-valley-national-park-tony-sweet-workshop/

You'll see there are blurs and reflections there. I still have a few more mostly water shots to add.

denise ippolito
10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Ed, Really nice stuff! Most impressive!!

Roman Kurywczak
10-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Robert A........Hey Roman, I do this blur things all the time - calling me a GIRL. I am even a left-brained kind of a guy! :D;)[/quote]

.....you and myself too!........Im just not as good at it as Fabs , Denise, Jules and you.....not bad compony if you ask me! Just checking to see if anyone was paying attention!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Lots of great advice and tension

Hazel Grant
10-29-2009, 05:06 PM
I am partial to these kinds of reflective shots. I agree that while it is colorful and sharp, it is busy. Just added a slight blur to the water to give contrast. You may prefer the clarity of the water.