PDA

View Full Version : Tigress

Kiran Khanzode
10-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I am roaring to go back to India very soon and spend some time with the wildlife, and hopefully spot some tigers.
Am excited to use the 7D in the field.

Here's one image taken earlier this summer from the most widely abused wall :-) in Bandhavgarh National Park. I have cropped this image tight to focus the viewer's attention on her face. I had posted 1 more from this series but that was a different perspective/crop and gait.

PP wise, nothing much besides cropping, resizing for web and sharpening.

The dam wall is tilted...the image does not need a tilt rotation, fyi :-).

40D, @600mm f/8, 1/640 beanbag on jeep, early morning. Taken from about 75 yards away.

Kiran

Marc Mol
10-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Nice comp, color & sharp Kiran. I'm no Tiger expert but this one appears to have quite a small head in relation to body overall? Do you know if it's a juvenile?

Harshad Barve
10-27-2009, 02:06 AM
One fabulous morning it was
Absolute beauty , I am loving tight crop here , Light on face and raised paw makes it for me
TFS

ps, BTW IMHO , this image has slight magenta color cast

Nice comp, color & sharp Kiran. I'm no Tiger expert but this one appears to have quite a small head in relation to body overall? Do you know if it's a juvenile?

Marc , she is DHITI ( her nick name , means Brave ) when this image was made , she aged 21/22 months , Sub-adult tigress living with moma , sis and one bro
Now this family is nearly seperated and she is having fun with this guy

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46012

David Fletcher
10-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Lovely moment caught mid stride and love the splash of light on the face. Good luck with your trip.

Stu Bowie
10-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Beautiful looking animal. I like the light on the head, and love the raised paw. In a perfect world, an open BG would have been first prize. Still a great sighting, and well captured.

Kiran Khanzode
10-27-2009, 09:30 AM
Thx, all.

@Marc, She's a young female, one of the prettiest/expressive tigresses I've ever seen. She was under 2 years of age when this was taken. The head size of a female RBT is definitely smaller than that of males (compared to their body sizes), one quick check of determining if it is a male or a female (besides checking under the hood, of course).

I am no expert either, just a photographer with some observations :-)

@Stuart: I agree, an open BG and grass under the feet instead of the wall....now that would be perfect !! :)

@Dave: Thanks, brother !

@Harshad: There's no cast (to my eyes), thanks for introducing me to the word 'magenta', though ! ;-)

Fabs Forns
10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Very nice spotlight effect on her face and beautiful subject. I am used to the wall by now and don't mind it.

Morkel Erasmus
10-28-2009, 06:23 AM
Very nice spotlight effect on her face and beautiful subject. I am used to the wall by now and don't mind it.

:) I think most of us are coming to a point where we don't mind the wall at all, especially when the eye wanders so easily to the beautiful cat on it. love the light and exposure here, BG doesn't bother me at all - they are jungle cats are they not?

wish it was mine...

Kiran Khanzode
10-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Yes, Morkel. Born Free and Living Free.

Morkel Erasmus
10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
that's what I meant - jungle cats should have jungle backgrounds. if you want a cat with a clean BG, you can go to the Masai Mara ;)

Kiran Khanzode
10-28-2009, 03:54 PM
Very true :-). Hopefully my trip to the Serengeti gets me those dream shots....time will tell.