PDA

View Full Version : Ringed kingfisher ready to eat!!!

rmoragaz
10-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Hello everyone!! This is my first bird I post here in BirdPhotgrahpers.
Two days observing the behavior of a couple of Ringed kingfishers. I selected a perch and use a hide and wait. Finally I see the male flying nearby ...but for my surprise...just before landing, it goes in the water and catches a small crab......not the best light..but a beautiful moment. I hope you enjoy !!

Comments and critiques are welcome!!!

Rodrigo

Canon 7D
Canon 500 F4 IS+1.4x
ISO 400
1/1000
F8

Kiran Khanzode
10-25-2009, 10:58 PM
I absolutely love this one, great suspended water droplets...the bg/perch is great and so is the sharpness on the birds and prey, great DoF. The wet look of the bird makes this even more interesting. Light is not bad at all, there's no shadows.

Kiran

Harshad Barve
10-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Big welcome to BPN

killer pose , wet crest , crab , expressions of KF , BG and water droplets makes this grand for me,
Perch is bit big in size but does not bother me much
TFS

arash_hazeghi
10-26-2009, 12:57 AM
Warm welcome to BPN, and great first post. HA is great, BG is nice and smooth, prey and water drops are a plus. light and detail is pretty good too, just wish for better wing position and smaller perch with visible feet.
Look forward to seeing more from you.

Connie Mier
10-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Very cool capture, the crab gets a lot of the attention. Lighting seems a bit harsh on the whites, but a minor thing overall.

Doug Brown
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Welcome to BPN! Pretty spectacular first image! The prey, head angle of the bird, water droplets, and sharpness are all first-rate. I'd tone down the whites a bit, but this is a great Kingfisher image!

We like forum participants and members to use their real names if possible. Also, where are you from?

rmoragaz
10-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi again. Thanks for your comments. My name is Rodrigo Moraga and I'm from Chile.
I love this site, I have learn a lot looking to the wonderful images posted here.
Saludos desde Chile

Rodrigo

Arthur Morris
10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi again. Thanks for your comments. My name is Rodrigo Moraga and I'm from Chile.
I love this site, I have learn a lot looking to the wonderful images posted here. Saludos desde Chile. Rodrigo

Welcome Rodrigo and thanks for sharing this wonderful capture. The problem is that you image is too dark and too saturated. I dealt with both of those problems in the repost.

Did you set up the perch????????????????

Arthur Morris
10-26-2009, 06:45 PM
ps: Killer on the crab and the water drops! And thanks a ton for your membership support. Next time you post post your avatar bird!

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Welcome Rodrigo.

Very nice post and bird. Arthur's repost improved this image a lot. Love the clean BG, crab, and droplets.

rmoragaz
10-27-2009, 02:11 PM
<LINK rel=File-List href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5Crmoragaz%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cm sohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><LINK rel=themeData href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5Crmoragaz%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cm sohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><LINK rel=colorSchemeMapping href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5Crmoragaz%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cm sohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><STYLE> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 3.0cm 70.85pt 3.0cm; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE>Dear Artie. Thanks for the editing tip. It looks much better. Light was not good at all, so I preferred to exposed down and not burn the white of the bird.

The perch is natural, no setup at all. It was a surprise when the bird landed with the crab. When it finished eating it went in the water and came with more and more crabs. Every time it landed, the kingfisher hit many times the crab in the perch before eating.

I will post my avatar bird.

Thanks

Rodrigo

Jeff Cashdollar
10-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Great shot and planning, Artie's repost is over the top!

Ramon M. Casares
10-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Simply stunning cpature, so powerfull, such action, great detail, BG, colors and species, and the prey puts it just way over the top IMO.
About the OP and the Artie's repost I would rather to get somewhere in between, here's my own version, I used Artie's brighter face, tail, and perch and a little tiny bit overall brighter image, I also "recovered" the whites on the neck with a little trick of mine ;)
Please let me know what you guys think.