PDA

View Full Version : Great horned owl

Jamie Strickland
10-25-2009, 07:25 PM
This was shot from a local workshop today, it was tethered so it could not fly away. He wasn't in the mood to open his eyes all the way apparently.

Shot with
7D + 500L
ISO 400
F5.6
1/640
+1/3

paul leverington
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Well this is just about wonderful. What a fantastic choice of colors for you to show off this bird. A simple working comp but it looks fine to me. Wide open eyes would be maybe the only thing you could get better, but what the heck. Sweeet!!
Paul

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-25-2009, 07:46 PM
I would love the photograph on this owls some day.
The green moss on the branch really moves me. By the way, the focus point seems to be there and not on the bird. It's a pity the owl didn't opened its eyes a bit more. I find this one a little tight on the frame.

Randy Stout
10-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Jaime:

Well exposed, sharp, soft light, nice perch, talons a plus. He looks a bit miffed about the not flying thing!

My first thought when I saw the image was that it was oversaturated compared with the GHO that I have seen up close. Nice fall color in background, but still strikes me as a bit overdone.

It is interesting to see the very soft ear tufts, which were commented on in a recent post by Steve Canuel.

Cheers

Randy

Jamie Strickland
10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Juan Carlos its sharp on the eyes but its hard to tell that on this small pic for some reason, probably need to lighten the eyes a little,the moss looks sharp because its the same distance as the eyes.

Randy I had put +10 saturation in LR so that could be it but I looked at the other pics I did not process and it looks pretty much the same. I think the 7D profile for LR is off a bit to be honest because I noticed it on some other shots as well.

Randy Stout
10-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Jamie:

It is the "yellowness" of the feathers that really gets my attention. The background could be just the way it was, but my experiences with GHO showed more of a reddish tan color, less yellow. I suspect it might vary a bit with diet and just plain individual variation, but I wonder.

Perhaps some of the other folks using the 7D in lightroom will comment?

Randy

Jamie Strickland
10-25-2009, 08:26 PM
yup your right I just looked back at a pic from last year of the exact same owl http://www.tekkiesphoto.com/Birds/owls/IMG0492/457198635_LECXz-L.jpg

I looked at the camera profile in LR and it says BETA, I know when the 5D MKII came out the colors were off like this so I am willing to bet that's the issue

to lazy to install DPP at the moment but I will check it tomorrow

Brian Barcelos
10-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Very nice image overall and I love the BG. Only thing I'd change is the saturation, especially the green moss as my eye keeps wanting to look over to it instead of the owl.

Kiran Khanzode
10-25-2009, 09:58 PM
I love the mossy perch and the BG...great colors !

Danny Laredo
10-25-2009, 09:59 PM
This is just wonderful Jamie. Love the perch BG and the cute expression.

Harshad Barve
10-25-2009, 10:56 PM
nice shot , lovely BG and perch , you gotta love those eyes here
TFS

arash_hazeghi
10-26-2009, 01:00 AM
Love the perch, BG ans colors. Nice sleepy eyes there! Chest plumage a bit soft on my screen compared to the perch detail. Excellent, TFS.

Marc Mol
10-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Beautiful color & perch, great detail in the feathers and pleasing BG.

Jamie Strickland
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Randy I figured it out, it was the AWB, changed it in LR from as shot to auto and boom its looking way less saturated... but now the saturation has grown on me lol

I will post some more of him with the updated WB

Kiran Poonacha
10-27-2009, 06:09 AM
Lovely image, with very pretty BG. congrats..

David Fletcher
10-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Fine image Jamie. Love the colors and bg. Nicely done.