PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know what this is?

Paul Lagasi
10-25-2009, 07:12 PM
One day in September while photographing dragonflies, I saw this bug on a rock...its a bit bigger than a housefly. I live near Ottawa, Canada, 45 Lat. It looks like a type of Robber Fly but I'm just guessing. I am going to have to buy a bug book someday...Thanks

D300
F5.6
1/640
iso-400
handheld

Lana Hays
10-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Paul
It sure looks like a Robber Fly to me but there are several in my insect book and I'm not sure which one it is. You might as well spring for the field guide as you never know what "critters" will appear.

Mike Milicia
10-25-2009, 07:32 PM
I have no idea about the ID but here's a great resource for ID'ing bugs that you have photographed :

http://bugguide.net/node/view/6/bgimage

Paul Lagasi
10-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks Lana...Christmas just around the corner, will get one from Santa...lolol...Thanks Mike for link

Mike Moats
10-26-2009, 06:00 AM
Hey Paul, looks like a robber fly, don't know how many kinds there are. Good details and DOF, I would clone out the little black line at the right side edge of the red rock in the BG.

Julie Kenward
10-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Whatever it is it looks mean! I like the image but the bug is pretty centered - might chop off the bottom rock and let the two larger rocks have the frame. I also agree with Mike on the black piece that is sticking out onto the soft red rock - man, does that catch the eye!