PDA

View Full Version : Black Skimmer

Michael Yessik
10-25-2009, 06:52 PM
I always have trouble with black and white birds in getting the exposure right, but I believe I filled the histogram without clipping.

Comments please.

D300 with 500mm lens at f/6.5, 1/2500s, ISO 800.

Alfred Forns
10-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Hi Michael The secret for these is soft light ... about the only way to come out on top !!! Here there is a bit of a shadow in the bird's head, getting in sun angle would solve the problem.

Exposure is as good as you can do, whites are in check but black in wing has no detail. Pose wise this is very close to perfect, ideally you want to catch the bird in the full up position !!! ... did you crop to a vertical or is it natural .. I work hard on them verticals :)

PS wise there is a little halo around the upper part of the wing, all other processing looks good and you did manage a discernible eye ... big deal in these guys !!!!

Jackie Schuknecht
10-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Great post Michael. Good advice from Al. Guess you couldn't have used flash at that speed. I think it is really hard to photograph black and white birds.

Jeff Cashdollar
10-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Al hit the techs, good advise. In any high action shot, it is really best effort and a touch of luck. I use high speed shutter and try to get a good one in a controlled batch. Moreover, I get in best position for light and background to support the shot I want and go from there - not bad - keep em coming.

Gus Cobos
10-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi Michael,
Nice capture...the techs. are covered and good advise given...just keep at it...looking forward to more...:cool:

Lance Peters
10-25-2009, 08:41 PM
Al nailed the critique - soft light and practise, practise, Practise.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Agree with the advice given, soft light with good sun position, usually with behind your back and lots of practice. Love the wing up position so we can see the underwing details, the ripple in the wave add to the image except the one blocking the beak.