PDA

View Full Version : The Leaves are Falling

Christopher Miller
10-25-2009, 03:43 PM
I arranged these two maple leaves on a pile of other leaves by the side of our driveway. Any C&C are welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f5.6 @ 1/80, ISO 100, -0.3 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped a bit, curves adjustments, burned some of the lighter BG leaves, selective sharpened the two maple leaves a bit, and darkened the edges

Mike Moats
10-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Hey Chris, I like the placement of the leaves in the frame. I might have tilted the two slightly rather then sitting side by side. The two colorful leaves contrast well with the earthtones of the background.

Julie Kenward
10-26-2009, 07:17 AM
Nice one, Christopher! I, too, like the two bright leaves against the earth tones and the fact that there is a bit of frost - that really adds another dimension to the image. I also think the two colorful leaves might be better with one closer to the corner and one midway up the first leaf but, that said, I do like the the stems are pointing to the corner.

You can really tell that you are starting to "see" your images before you create them and that's really wonderful.

Christopher Miller
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks Mike and Jules! Appreciate your input, and I'll remember your ideas on positioning the leaves for next time.

Anita Bower
10-27-2009, 06:04 AM
You found two beautiful leaves to photograph! Nice contrast with surrounding leaves. I wish I understood Mike's suggestion for leaf placement. Nice post processing.

Ed Vatza
10-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Nice compositional concept, Christopher. I too like the place and color of the subject leaves. What I'm not real keen on are all the brown leaves. I think I would rather have seen this as a single orange leaf on a bed of yellows. But maybe that's because I just came from workshop where there were a bazillion yellow leaves everywhere.

Christopher Miller
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Anita, I think what Mike means is that he would have placed the leaves a little further apart at almost a right angle to each other. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike.

Ed, Great suggestion on a single leaf on a yellow bed. I'll give it a try if I can!

Thank you both for your comments. Much appreciated!

Anita Bower
10-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Anita, I think what Mike means is that he would have placed the leaves a little further apart at almost a right angle to each other. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mike.

Ed, Great suggestion on a single leaf on a yellow bed. I'll give it a try if I can!

Thank you both for your comments. Much appreciated!
That makes sense. Thanks.
Anita