PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 Posts and Bad-Gala Luck

Arthur Morris
10-25-2009, 03:02 PM
I am guessing that a few of you have seen this Great Blue Heron image . It is over course, the cover of ABP. When I reprinted 5,000 of these recently, I digitally improved the cover image by reducing the BKGR noise, eliminating the nictitating membrane over the eye, and getting rid of some stray branches and small hot spots on the leaves. You can compare either this image or better yet, the cover of the new edition with either the cover of the old edition or the chapter opener on page 148 of any edition.

Great Blue Heron, courtship twig passing, Venice Rookery. Canon FD 800mm f/5.6 lens with the T-90 body. Fuji Velvia pushed one stop to ISO 100. Center-weighted average metering -1/3 stop: 1/50 sec. at f/5.6

Yeah, I know, the whites are toasted but this was film and the image has done OK for itself :)

Arthur Morris
10-25-2009, 03:09 PM
The great blue image above was awarded Grand Prize in Wildlife in the very first Nature's Best Contest. There was no ceremony, no nothing. The next year and every year since then they have had a huge party at the Smithsonian. Bad luck on my part :)

I learned a few weeks ago that the Northern Gannet image here has been awarded first prize in this year's Nature's Best Contest in the "Art in Nature" category. (I thanked them for naming the category after me :)) I was thrilled that I would get to go to the Smithsonian and have my picture taken with Steve Freligh while standing in front of the image. Then I kept reading and learned that there would be no gala celebration this year. You gotta love it!

Then I learned that the same image had been awarded First Prize in the Bird Category of the National Wildlife Federation Contest. All in all pretty darned rewarding. I have loved this image from the get-go.

An interesting note is that I entered the gannet image in the BBC Contest two years running and it did not do a thing.

Alfred Forns
10-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Big Congrats on all accounts Artie !!!!!!! ............... You Da Man !!!!!!!!!!!!! Proud of you !!!!

Fabs Forns
10-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Congrats on your 10K and on the NB. They didn't have a gala last year either because of the economy.
Both are killer images as you know :)
Thanks for all the guidance!

Arthur Morris
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Congrats on your 10K and on the NB. They didn't have a gala last year either because of the economy. Both are killer images as you know :) Thanks for all the guidance!

Thanks Fabs. Good to know that there was not one last year. I seem to remember that they had one the year that you had a highly honored image :)

Mike Tracy
10-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Mr. Morris, congrats on your image being selected. The Gannets are well deserving.

Phil Ertel
10-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi Artie, Congratulations on contests and awards. I would also like to thank you for time and efforts here on BPN. I have learned a lot from you critiques and images. I have also found your books and CD to be of great value.

paul leverington
10-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey Artie--what do they say?== On any given Sunday. You just never know what wins or not--and I tend to believe also as times change, so does taste. Well either way, congrats on the wins.

The blue heron shot certainly brings back memories. You see Artie--there was a time when my 600 had narley a scratch on it and while i was using my right hand to run the camera--my left hand had your book in it open to some page or another. And the front cover shot I think is rather embossed on my brain. Probably most folks that shoot birds will have a similar tale to tell about their own learning process. I clearly remember wondering if I could ever get pictures as good as the ones in your book. In a very big way by sharing the knowledge, you have helped avian matters for generations, and all over the world, by way of your disciples. Quite a legacy for one man.

But can you cook?

Paul

Randy Stout
10-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Artie:

Congrats on these images and your long career. You have inspired countless photographers to aim high, to not settle for good, but to strive for excellence. Not many of us make a major impact on our chosen field of endeavor. You have.

Randy

denise ippolito
10-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Both images are stunning. Congratulations Artie. Well deserved. I read what one of your students had said about you and it really touched me. I hope someday to have a great impact on others as you have. Thankyou for all your shared knowledge.

Paul Randall
10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Congrats on the 10,000 posts and of course the killer images. If only those herons knew how famous they would become (bird photography royalty)!!!

Jim Fenton
10-25-2009, 05:53 PM
The gannet image was a stunner the first time I saw it.

Forget the gala ceremony...how many people have big contest divisions named after them?

:)

Paul Lagasi
10-25-2009, 06:05 PM
Wow..10,000....hope I live so long...congratulations Artie...Gannet photo is awesome..

Fabs Forns
10-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks Fabs. Good to know that there was not one last year. I seem to remember that they had one the year that you had a highly honored image :)

Yes, Maestro, two years ago, when I won the Birds category, there was a huge Gala on the main lobby plus we had had one at the exhibit with the NB crowd, the winners and guests, we had interviews, plaques and a Steve F addressed the guests. The one downstairs was more formal, very lavish catering and many guests and speakers.
I think the year before me, when Robert Am got his, there was no gala either. It depends on the sponsors, since the cost could be really high.

Roman Kurywczak
10-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey Artie,
Congrats on 10,000! Don't feel bad my firend.....I didn't get one in 2004 and only found out about the Smithsonian hanging the last week it was up and I was on tour(my wife, kids, parents, and brother got to see it thoough).........both great images and well deserved. Mazel Tov!!!

Scott Elowitz
10-25-2009, 07:12 PM
10K WOW, that would be impressive if you weren't already one of the busiest photogs in the business. How you had time make 10k meaningful posts is beyond comprehension. Congrats on the contests. I look forward to reading your next 10k posts.

All the Best,

Axel Hildebrandt
10-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Congratulations on the milestone and the prizes, these really are excellent and deserving images. As for the gala, I bet you still have plenty of halibut that would be enough to host one yourself. :)

I think the heron image could be a bit less sharpened and some of the whites could go a tad darker for my taste.

Arthur Morris
10-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks all for your heartfelt comments; I was quite moved by man of them. Axel, the whites on the GBH disappeared when the image was scanned. Fabs, go ahead and rub it in!

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Si seņor!
Both images are wonderful. Congratulations on the 10,000 posts!
I can only say thank you so much because I have learned so much in this site.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
Congrats Artie, thanks for everything

Stephen Stephen
10-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Artie congratulations on your 10000th post as well as for these two award winning images. I recall the GBHs from my hard copy version of ABP. It was always a great image but I do like your re-work on this digital version as well.

kevinmat
10-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Artie, congratulations on your 10,000th post. You are a great inspiration to us all. I am forever grateful for the education and inspiration your books. images and posts continually supply (I have forgotten how many times I've read and re-read the books). You are a true leader in your field and your images deserve the honors granted them this year. If you need it I'll send you a cake and a bottle of bubbly!

John Blumenkamp
10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Congrats on the NB honor as well as the post milestone Artie!

Harshad Barve
10-25-2009, 09:39 PM
Guruji
Big congratulations for awards and 10k
each post you have made is a learning experince for people like me , big thanks for this

Harshad

Raymond Barlow
10-25-2009, 09:42 PM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CRAYBAR%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CRAYBAR%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx"><link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CRAYBAR%7E1%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5 Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-CA</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> congrats Artie, I am happy for you and your achievements., 10 k is a lot of advice, thanks for that too!

arash_hazeghi
10-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Excellent shot and congrats on your great achievements Artie.

Brian Barcelos
10-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Artie, Big round of applause. These two images are just spectacular. I want to make a little speech here.

My wife had been into photography for a few years and I never gave it much thought other than the fact that her hobby was somewhat expensive.;) One day last March I believe, I picked up one of her photo mags (can't remember which as my youngest son destroys them all) and seen an image of a shore bird which I can't remember which it was either but I was amazed at how cool it looked. I decided to Google the photographer that took it and was blown away by the images I had just seen. Of course that was you Artie.

After that my wife basically forced me to buy myself a camera because I kept asking her to hand hers over. Now all I think of is going out to hopefully get that shot. I've actually been spending more time with my family going out and now we share a somewhat similar hobby, she doesn't really get into birds but other aspects of nature. Our bond has gotten stronger and I can actually blame you for that.:p

Hopefully I haven't bored you with all this writing but either way congrats and Thanks for indirectly getting me into this mess we call Birds as Art.

James Shadle
10-25-2009, 10:28 PM
10,000 posts - it's about time!:)
Congratulations on your 10,000th post and honored images.

Glad to count you as partner, but friend first. (My other partners aren't so bad either;))

Froggie, Darth, DD, Dad, Grandpa, James

Stu Bowie
10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Congrats on your huge milestone, and all the accolades bestowed on you. Thank you for a great site, and we appreciate your dedication. Take a bow.

Ilija Dukovski
10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Congratulations!

And thanks for sharing these superb images, and all your knowledge with us.

Hey, this post is a kind of virtual Gala, isn't it?

Jay Gould
10-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Artie, congrats on all counts. You have established the bar and you continue to challenge yourself and others as you constantly raise the bar of photographic excellence. It has been a pleasure to be a cyber student of yours, and I look forward to many years it that capacity in the future.

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-26-2009, 01:28 AM
HUGE Congrats Artie! :) Both images are incredible. I must tell you the Herons are on the cover of my fave bird photography book!

Cheers
Oshkosh

Geurt Bloem
10-26-2009, 02:24 AM
Big congrats Artie.
The image on my ABP book is not as as good looking as this one, but then this Web version of the image will not be manhandled and fingered so many times as my ABP book was either:D A huge thank you sir for sharing your experience in the many ways you do, be it with publications or here on BPN or for those lucky ones in the US, through tuition at an IPT.

Connie Mier
10-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Congratulations for your many successes, you have brought bird photography to its highest level to date. Thank you for your comments and sharing your expertise.
Connie

david cramer
10-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Both images are winners on whatever stage you present them. I love the synchronicity of the behavior in the two shots. Congratulations!

The 10k mark is a sign of your generosity and dedication to this forum, your photography, and to our growth as photographers. We all benefit from that. A hearty thanks!

Joe Senzatimore
10-26-2009, 09:10 AM
A big congrats. You work hard and it shows. Can't think of anyone who deserves it more. Many years ago I borrowed that book from Tom Vezo before my first Florida trip. It became my bible. I never forgot that cover image.

Manos Papadomanolakis
10-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Both images are stunning. Congratulations Artie!!!

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Congrats Artie...the Gannet image is a stunner. I had entered both contests...of course not expecting to win anything and did not :-) Such photos show us how far we have to go.....thx a lot.

KD

Morkel Erasmus
10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
thanks so much for the great, often stern, guidance Artie.
huge congrats - both images are killer but the gannets are very special...

here's to 10,000 more - good health - and even greater images :)

Alan Murphy
10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
15 years ago you gave me 20 mins of your time on the phone when you were trying to rush out the door to catch a flight. You didn't know who I was but gave anyway. 10K posts means your still giving. Very inspiring work ethic and a model of selflessness that we should all model.

Thank you.

Bonnie Block
10-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Congratulations, Artie--thanks for your contributions to us all--you are a continuing inspiration.

Arthur Morris
10-26-2009, 05:58 PM
thanks so much for the great, often stern, guidance Artie.
huge congrats - both images are killer but the gannets are very special...

here's to 10,000 more - good health - and even greater images :)

Stern? You want stern. Let me know and I will give you stern :)

Morkel Erasmus
10-26-2009, 11:20 PM
hehe okay let's not turn up the dial more than it is now...:eek::D

how does the term "lovingly-semi-stern-with-a-bit-of-spice" sound? ;)

Kiran Poonacha
10-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Sorry Guruji, Late to this party, but better late then never :D.

big "Hug" from me for this mile stone and thanks for being such a great inspiration ( I really mean it). Keep them coming...

Regards,

Kiran.

Arthur Morris
10-27-2009, 06:53 AM
hehe okay let's not turn up the dial more than it is now...:eek::D how does the term "lovingly-semi-stern-with-a-bit-of-spice" sound? ;)

Will not. And that seems fine. Would you really want me to let you off the hook?

David Fletcher
10-27-2009, 07:48 AM
Heck its a long way down to this point Artie, :D:D. Sincere congratulations on your 10,000th and more for the work, help and inspiration you provide with your images and honest appraisals. (Wouldn't put too much store in the BBC thingy... reputation for poor taste, :D, and whilst I know its something we maybe should aspire to, they are seen in the UK as a tad biased). Congratulations...... :):)

Jim Poor
10-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Hey congrats! NB didn't even bother to contact me at all this year about any of my entries.

Morkel Erasmus
10-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Will not. And that seems fine. Would you really want me to let you off the hook?

never in a million years! :eek:
just using the opportunity to muck around a bit with words ;)
please don't let me or anyone who is eager to learn off the hook until we surpass the highest standards you set for yourself.

:)

Arthur Morris
10-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks again to all who posted. I have been overjoyed and humbled by your wonderful comments. And while it has been a labor of love, I have gotten a lot more than I have given. Heck, I can say the same thing about nature photography in general!

Indranil Sircar
10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Congratulations on the 10K and the prizes, Artie. Your GBH got me started on the bird photography when I had picked up ABP from a bookstore not too long ago. Regards.

Caspar Davis
10-28-2009, 05:42 PM
I would like to echo Randy Stout's comment, " You have inspired countless photographers to aim high, to not settle for good, but to strive for excellence." That certainly ges for me, although I'm a long way short of excellence yet.

Thank you for all the amazing images, and above all for sharing them, and your knowledge.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">