PDA

View Full Version : MockingBird

Jeff Cashdollar
10-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Canon 7D & Canon 500MM f/4L
Bean bag - BLUBB
1/400 (another cloudy day)
f/5.0 (not sure why I was not wide open, new equipment I guess, or fell asleep at the switch)
ISO=500
AS/AV/Eval/EV=-2

LRII--->CS4,..did a little multiplying on the chest there were a few warm pixels I toned down.

Still getting a handle on the new equipment, C & C welcome. Al, the 7D is fast for sure and I love the leveling feature.

Gus Cobos
10-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi Mr. Cashdollar,
First of all I congratulate you on you new toys ( 7D and the 500mm )...:D this is a killer combination...I like the pano crop. You have a good head angle and good solid eye contact, the feather details are good and so is the color rendition...I like the natural framing with the leaves in the foreground, which helps pin point your subject. My only recommendation is to selective sharpen the eye just a slight tad more...aside from this, you did well...good show...looking forward to your next one...:):cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
10-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Gus, I am using Smart Sharpening not USM, does it make a difference?

Lance Peters
10-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Hi Jeff - Gus nailed the critique - not sure about the smart sharpen - only ever use USM in some form or another.
Like the pano crop - Good HA and eye contact.
Nice new toys :)

Alfred Forns
10-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I like the way Smart Sharpen works a little better but the difference is not great. The biggest difference is in selectively sharpening the image, just sharpen using a layer then brush back the parts you don't want .... plus you can reduce the opacity of the sharpened area to taste !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
10-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Nice shot Jeff. You are going to have some fun! Like the shot, just looks a little tight at the bottom to me. Good exposure, and now when you think you have some reach you'll be buying the 1.4 TC. It never ends:)
Congratulations.

Jeff Cashdollar
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks Jackie, I have plenty of room at the bottom, just cropped to taste. I know what you mean, I have a 1.4 Canon TC too.

What do you think about the Kenko AF 1.5X Teleplus DG/TC?

Jackie Schuknecht
10-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Not familiar with that one Jeff. I just heard that their extension tubes weren't as good as Canon, so don't think I would buy that brand in general.

Jeff Cashdollar
10-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Jackie, I have to ask. What is the origin of your tag line - "Doing my level best". I like it, just curious.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Just use it because of the reference to the group I like (Level 42), and the fact that we use the level (hama double bubble) to help keep us in check and on track. (hopefully)

WIlliam Maroldo
10-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I like the framing effect of the leaves as well. I do think that a greater depth of field that got the entire foreground in focus would have been advantageous, in that the framing effect would be accentuated. I realize you you felt wide open was not correct, but I'm not sure of your reasons.
Although there are many examples of good images with both foreground and background OOF, most of the time (IMO) OOF background only works best. Good job overall. regards~Bill

Christopher Miller
10-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Very nice, Jeff. Can't really add to what's already been said.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Seem like you really had fun with the new toys, which is a good thing :)
Nice eye contact and excellent feather details. Agree about the foreground, this would be a stronger image if the foreground is more focus. Looking forward for more pictures from your new gears.

Jeff Cashdollar
10-26-2009, 02:29 PM
I set the DoF so the FG & BG would be OOF leaving the subject as center piece. Next time I will experiment more with aperture, thank you all for the good feedback. Gives me plenty of new ideals to play with.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
10-27-2009, 12:31 PM
I like the greens around the bird, gives it a nice natural frame. The Pano crop works for me as well. Nice HA, but would sharpen the eye a little more. Great job:)