PDA

View Full Version : Everglades National Park Update

Michael Pancier
10-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Hung out yesterday 10/24/09 at Anhinga Trail. Pine Lake/Pine Lands Area, and Pahayokee....

Anhinga trail seems to be populated by buzzards. I did see 2 nesting Great Blues; a pair of green herons, some anhinga and that was about it. Water levels very high. Maybe saw 2 gators there.

Pine land area, did see hawks and osprey in the early morning; but not many. A bald eagle was spotted in a cypress tree just south of Pahayokee Overlook visible from the main road (north/west side). But it was most likely a lucky grab, as there was no visible nest anywhere in the area. A pair of pileated woodys were seen in the distance from the Overlook chasing each other; but nothing worth photographing due to the distance and obstructions.

Other than that, lots of crows.

Until water levels recede, don't expect nothing there.

dugroberts
10-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for this. In a few weeks time I hope to be arranging my visit to the Everglades for next February/March as outlined in the thread below, so info of this nature will be very helpful to me.

Thanks again,

Doug.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37813 (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37813)
Everglades - Best time to visit.

Judd Patterson
10-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Ah, but the most important thing to mention is that mosquito levels have dropped off considerably. Even before dawn they are almost non-existent in many of the freshwater areas (the fish populations have finally caught up to the insects...yeah!!). They are still a bother down in the saltwater areas like Flamingo.

I photographed that Bald Eagle in the cypress. Later on it flew to the west and a second adult joined it flying west. They may decide to nest nearby...who knows.

Muhly grass is also in full show...you just have to find a nice patch of the gorgeous pink seedhead.

I think the real treat right now is to wade out into the park. The cypress domes are really nice right now...water isn't too cold and is high enough to make it an adventure. The cypress are dropping needles, but there is still some green in there. Enjoy!

Michael Pancier
10-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Judd were you there on Saturday? I'm bummed I missed the eagle. I had not seen them there except around Flamingo or 10K Islands....let's see if we luck out....

Judd Patterson
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah, I was there for several hours on Saturday...but spent my time farther in the park than Anhinga/Long Pine Key. Thanks a bunch for information on activity in those areas. It had been way too long since I had been in Everglades.