PDA

View Full Version : ringless honey mushroom

Joel Arrington
02-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Canon EOS 20D, manual, 0.5 sec @ f/22 ISO 400, 20-35mm

Peter M. Noyes
02-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Interesting picture. I see a lot of mushrooms in the wild but am not sure I have seen any like that. I think there might be a little too much contrast. The background is a little dark and the mushrooms might not be as sharp as they could be.

Mike Moats
02-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey Joel, alot of dynamic tension going on here, I like it. I notice on the last post Peter had mention that Bill's leaf was on the dark side and now your BG looked dark but on mine they do not look dark, it actually looks a little on the light side, but not bad. so our viewpoints are coming from different looking monitor.

Tony Kirkby
02-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi Joel

This is an interesting specimen and the background looks ok to me.
I always carry a reflective screen when photographing mushrooms to light up the stems directly underneath the caps and balance out the light.

Mike Moats
02-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey Tony, great point about using the reflector to light up the stems as they tend to get shadowed by the tops.

Ed Cordes
02-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Shrooms are always good subjects. I can't say I have ever seen them like this. Kind of looks like a large tentacled monster reaching up to get us. I agree the image needs a little PS work to make it snap a bit more, but you have a good platform from which to start.

Stephen Stephen
02-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Love the composition here Joel. Mushrooms are a favourite alternate subject (from birds) for me but I haven't developed a good technique to fully capture their beauty yet.

Robert O'Toole
02-13-2008, 10:49 PM
I notice on the last post Peter had mention that Bill's leaf was on the dark side and now your BG looked dark but on mine they do not look dark, it actually looks a little on the light side, but not bad. so our viewpoints are coming from different looking monitor.

This problem comes up quite often, so we added a monitor strip along the bottom of each page.
Everyone should scroll down to the bottom of the page and look at the calibration strip. Everyone should ideally be able to see every white square and every dark square. If any of the squares merge, you cannot see the separating line, your monitor should be calibrated/recalibrated.

Hope this helps.

I think Peter is right on the fungi, contrast is the problem, the shadows are a little dark and the caps are a little hot. Looks a little flat like a problem with too much Shadow highlight or other processing problem I dont think it is a bad image just a processing problem.

Robert