View Full Version : Scissor tailed flycatcher

Sidharth Kodikal
10-24-2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.priyankakodikal.com/aves/images/keepers/stfcj2w.jpg

A juvenile stfc.

Canon 50D + 300 f2.8 with Canon 2x
f8.0, 1/2000, ISO 400

Cloned out an oof blade of grass.
The slight blue on the belly is a bit surprising to me. But the RAW file has it too.

Wish the tail was more visible and the perch more parallel to the sensor

Thanks

Sidharth Kodikal
10-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Creating a resized jpeg for upload seems to make it awfully softer than the original raw.
Do folks typically sharpen the image after making a jpeg?

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-25-2009, 06:45 AM
I do sharpen after converting to jpeg.
Light seem a bit harsh but you did real well with the exposure, good eye contact and nice HA. I don't mind much about the DOF of the branch or the unseen tail. The beak shadow on the chest is a bit distracting, maybe if the sun is behind you the shadow won't be there.
I never see this bird before so I don't know about the blue on the belly.

Jeff Cashdollar
10-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Sharpening is always the last thing prior to posting, does the 2.0 TC create any softness for you?

I will look up the bird but do not know about the blue hue, others will. I like the composition and you have a nice HA and sharp eye. I love the branch, background is clean and the exposure techs are solid - well done. The f/8 was a nice selection with the long tail, DoF can be hard to calculate.

Lance Peters
10-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi - if you are using P.S. make sure you chose Bicubic sharper when downsizing.
Main issue here for me is the direction of the lighting - best to get the sun behind you to provide even illumination on your subject.
Good HA and pose.
Keep em coming.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks very much for the feedback guys.
Thanaboon, good point about the shadow. The picture was taken just past noon. I will remember to use some fill flash the next time under such light conditions.
Jeff, I am liking the 2x with this lens with my limited experience thus far.
Softness has not been an issue with this combo; although I haven't done any formal testing.
Autofocus is definitely slower though.
Thanks again.

Gus Cobos
10-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Hi Sidharth,
I like you capture, the soft dual tone pastel background compliments your subject quite well. It does look a tad on the soft, and the angle of light is a little off...I agree with the techs. and sound advise given. Looking forward to your next one...:cool:<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_367695", true); </SCRIPT>

Alfred Forns
10-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Hi Sidharth Always sharpen last, your tiffs should not be sharpened !!

There are some exceptions, in programs like CaptureSharpner .. it works in three steps .. capture, final tiff and output sharpening. If you are just using USM or Smart sharpening do so at the output size. Also when downsizing the image make sure to use bicubic sharper, seems to make a difference !!

We got lots of tutorials, might see what is available !!!

Jackie Schuknecht
10-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Good advice from Al about sharpening. I end up shapening about five different times by the time it makes it to web. Lovely bird, BG, and pose. I am wondering if a bit of fill flash would have helped to open up the shadows.

Sidharth Kodikal
10-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks all for the tips.
Lance, Al: I hadn't done any sharpening to the tiff in this picture, but it looked pretty sharp to me before downsizing for the jpeg. I will remember the bicubic sharper + sharpening the final image tip.
Al, I will check out the educational resources. Thanks.
Jackie, Yes, I should have used fill flash to eliminate the shadows. Next time...