PDA

View Full Version : Bit of Fun - POLL

Lance Peters
10-24-2009, 10:41 PM
At a recent training seminar I did a quick Poll of Macintosh users - hows this for a stat....
Of the 40 people in the room - 10 used Mac's and what type of SLR did they own???? Canon!!! 100%

So here's a Poll.....

Lets see what happens with the numbers.

Alfred Forns
10-25-2009, 04:18 AM
Interesting Poll Lance !!! .. glad you did not have it up six month ago :)

Tony Whitehead
10-25-2009, 05:24 AM
I'll have to be the first dedicated Nikon user to vote Mac. Since migrating from PC almost 2 years ago I wish I had moved sooner. Still stuck with PC for work though so have to keep my hand in managing PC "issues". Would love to change to Mac there but our PMS only works on Windows platform.

allanrube
10-25-2009, 06:04 AM
I have used Nikon since 2005 and a Mac since 1987.

John Hawkins
10-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Sony and Mac

Doug Brown
10-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm a Canon guy, but share your feelings about the move from PC to Mac. I also made the jump about 2 years ago.

Axel Hildebrandt
10-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Same here, I've always used Canon and switched to Mac 1.5 years ago and am still wondering why I didn't do it earlier. :)

Dan Brown
10-25-2009, 11:01 AM
I've used Nikon for 25 years and PC for about the same! I am too entrenched to switch to those "other" systems for better or worse:cool:

Christopher C.M. Cooke
10-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Canon and Nikon and PC, I build my own PCs and they would outstrip any Mac any day and I can continously update the hardware as new stuff comes online.

Nothing against Mac, it is a great and rock steady platform for those that don't understand systems hardware but to have my setup on a Mac I could buy a new car for what it would cost and be slower than a VW.

Ed Cordes
10-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Canon and PC for me. I started with PC for my practice in he early 80's when Macs didn't have any good business stuff. Now I feel like I stay out of habit!

John Chardine
10-26-2009, 06:17 AM
This is a very interesting poll and it would be great if we could get the sample size up to 100+

It is already showing some interesting results that I think a stats test would show would not be expected under the null hypothesis of no difference.

Van Hilliard
10-26-2009, 06:43 AM
I have used Macintosh since the first one came out in the 1980s and have used Nikon for 20+ years beyond that. Recently I purchased a Nikon D300s and have continued to use that. Nevertheless, I have taken more photos in the last three years with Canon gear than with Nikon. I use both but chose the Nikon/PCcombo in this poll to help break up the Canon/Mac cartel. This month, I have used primarily Nikon (new camera) but have a Canon 5D Mark II on order. I'd probably answer differently next month.

Connie Mier
10-26-2009, 03:28 PM
None of the above

John Chardine
10-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Let me guess- Leica and Linux?!

Harold Davis
10-26-2009, 03:49 PM
shaping up to be interesting! so far, twice as many canon shooters than nikon!!

BillTyler
10-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Nikon and Canon and PC - there's no place for me in the poll.

Bill

Bryan Hix
10-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Do those of you who use a Mac, use Photoshop or Aperature? Just curious, maybe another poll? :)

John Chardine
10-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Interesting results so far. If they are representative of BPNers at large, it looks like:

Proportionately more BPNers use Canon than the general population of DSLR users.
Proportionately more BPNers use Mac then the general population of computer users.
There is no significant interaction between camera make and computer platform (despite Lance's initial suspicion).

Dug Threewitt
10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Interesting results so far. If they are representative of BPNers at large, it looks like:

Proportionately more BPNers use Canon than the general population of DSLR users.
Proportionately more BPNers use Mac then the general population of computer users.
There is no significant interaction between camera make and computer platform (despite Lance's initial suspicion).

Based on the poll above, it looks like more PC (54:29)
Edit, nevermind. I can't see how to delete the post. I just saw the general comp users...Sorry

John Chardine
10-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Based on the poll above, it looks like more PC (54:29)

I should have explained Dug. My statements were made on a proportional basis compared to overall market share. For example, over 35% of BPNers responding to the poll use Mac. This is hugely different to the Mac market share out there in the world at large which runs <10%. Same for camera body- there are various market share stats out there but one I saw showed about an even split (each had 40%) between Nikon and Canon. This was for Japan in 2008 so things might have changed. Compare this to the results from this poll which suggest that over 65% of BPNers use Canon. Again a big difference in relation to the market share out there in the big wide world.

Dug Threewitt
10-28-2009, 11:56 AM
I should have explained Dug. My statements were made on a proportional basis compared to overall market share. For example, over 35% of BPNers responding to the poll use Mac. This is hugely different to the Mac market share out there in the world at large which runs <10%. Same for camera body- there are various market share stats out there but one I saw showed about a 50-50 split between Nikon and Canon. This was for Japan in 2008 so things might have changed. Compare this to the results from this poll which suggest that over 65% of BPNers use Canon. Again a big difference in relation to the market share out there in the big wide world.
Gotcha, I edited my post, but you had already posted...

John Hawkins
10-28-2009, 03:05 PM
I use mac and edit with aperture

Lance Peters
10-30-2009, 01:38 AM

Hi John - Interesting all right - wonder if there is a difference between countries???

John Chardine
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
For those into statistics or remember something from your days in stats classes, the classic test to see if there is an association between camera make and computer platform is a Chi-square test in this 2x2 contingency table. Here are our results so far:

..........Nikon.......Canon.......Total
PC..........17..........47..........64
Mac.........12..........22 .........34
Total.......29..........69..........98

Chi-square with Yates correction

Chi squared equals 0.447 with 1 degrees of freedom.
The two-tailed P-value equals 0.5035
The association between rows (groups) and columns (outcomes) is considered to be not statistically significant.

What this means is that there is no statistically significant association between camera and computer platform. The p-value is the probability of obtaining these results if there were no association. You would be looking at a p-value of less than 0.05 (5%, 1 in 20 chance or less) for there to be indication of an association.

philperry
10-31-2009, 05:55 AM
I have used Canon for about 15 years now and Mac for nearly 2. I also use Photoshop. For those thinking of switching to Mac : You CAN. My work requires Windows. But no problem. I use VM Ware Fusion which allows me to run any Windows program I need on my Mac. I can run Windows and Mac programs at the same time and switch seamlessly from one to the other and even cut and paste between them. And the Windows runs better on my Mac than on a PC. It was the best change I ever made. Mac is just so much nicer and more stable.

philperry
10-31-2009, 06:15 AM
Forgot to mention: Microsoft also make Office for Mac. So you can run Word, Excel, Powerpoint .... on your Mac as well. I use Word/Excel - but find Apple's Keynote easier for presentaions than Powerpoint. So Macs really do have the most flexibility.

Chris Brennan
11-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I spent over 30 years working in professional business graphics production, where most of creative work was done on a Mac but most of the output was done through a PC. I've been on both sides of the aisle but because my "better half" is a computer trainer, we have multiple PCs at home.

Honestly, if I had taken the $$ I put into "L" glass over the years,and put it in a Mac instead, I might be happier and less stressed but I'd probably still be using my 10D....

Lance Peters
11-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Well as a PC user - I had to set up a MAC for the wife the other day - gotta say impressed with how easy it was.

OLD MAC -> New Mac - connect via firewire cable and ALL your programs, emails,files etc etc etc are transferred to the new MAC - no re-installing stuff for hours.

Gotta love that :)

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Hummmm...
very interesting poll. It's a pity I am late. I use a PC and Canon. I tried to use a Mac the other day but no way, I don't like it. May be all I have to do is keep on putting memory on my PC!

I have no problems of instability with mine.

arash_hazeghi
11-12-2009, 01:05 AM
BPN has 6743 users, only 128 votes that is 1.8%. sample space is not large enough. in order to calculate statistical figure with 95% confidence and 1% interval you need at least 3957 votes.

I use PC with both Canon and Nikon, there is no choice above for me!