PDA

View Full Version : Red-tailed in flight

arash_hazeghi
10-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Red-tailed taking off.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/hawk%20in%20flight%20bpn%207D.jpg

Canon 7D + 400 f/5.6 @ f/7.1 1/2000sec ISO 800. SW DPP 3.7

Hope you like it.

Harshad Barve
10-24-2009, 09:51 PM
fine shot Arash ,
lovely wing and talon pose , expo and sharpness looks good , nice to see natural BG
TFS

Bill McCrystyn
10-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Very nice image Arash. The 7D doesn't look like it lacks in pixel density - eh Roman? :) Very nice feather detail and sharp contrast to your BG. I am curious to know about how far you were from the target?

arash_hazeghi
10-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks Bill, I was pretty close to the hawk maybe ~ 35 ft. and these are large birds, it is almost full frame.

Bill McCrystyn
10-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Your killing me Arash. Is that a Redtail or a Red Shoulder Hawk?

Kiran Khanzode
10-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Arash, beautiful frozen frame, but isn't the eye a bit overdone in PP ? Good to see your new 7D working out :-). Is this really a red-tail ? ...I don't see red :) on the tail and the eye is a bit different.

Here's a 100% crop of a red tail's natural eye with the 7D (no pp, no sharpening)

arash_hazeghi
10-24-2009, 11:17 PM
Your killing me Arash. Is that a Redtail or a Red Shoulder Hawk?

Red-tailed

arash_hazeghi
10-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Arash, beautiful frozen frame, but isn't the eye a bit overdone in PP ? Good to see your new 7D working out :-). Is this really a red-tail ? ...I don't see red :) on the tail and the eye is a bit different.

Here's a 100% crop of a red tail's eye (no pp, no sharpening)

Hi Kiran,

The above is an immature red-tailed hawk, the iris is yellow in immature hawks and red for mature hawks, the above shot has no post processing in in the eye, learn more about red-tailed hawk here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-tailed_Hawk)

Also, I have and had no problem tracking a large bird against sky, it is when tracking against foliage when the AF continues to fail, there were plenty of OOF shots in this sequence that I did not show. I did not say anything is working better now.

The crop is OK but not very sharp in my opinion and does not indicate anything special about the 7D.

Here is a 100% crop of a mature hawk with red iris straight from DPP taken with the old 20D and 300 f/4 IS

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/examples/hawk_crop.jpg

Kiran Khanzode
10-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Thx for the lovely info, could you pls post a 100% crop of the eye/surrounding area( no pp) for me to learn more about the real eye colors of a juv red tail. The ambient lighting does not really match the eyeball colors...imo. :-). I don't see a low sun, or direct lighting or catchlight in the eye to see that much brightness in the eye, that's all.

Bonnie Block
10-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Beautiful image, Arash. Love the angle of flight--and the spread of the wings

arash_hazeghi
10-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Thx for the lovely info, could you pls post a 100% crop of the eye/surrounding area( no pp) for me to learn more about the real eye colors of a juv red tail. The ambient lighting does not really match the eyeball colors...imo. :-). I don't see a low sun, or direct lighting or catchlight in the eye to see that much brightness in the eye, that's all.

Kiran

This is a 100% crop of the same hawk when perched right before flight which shows the eye better, yellow iris is highly visible in most lightning conditions, even in shade.
The above photo was made in early morning and the sun was low.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/examples/yellow_iris.jpg

Kiran Khanzode
10-24-2009, 11:44 PM
ok, thank you, I did learn a lot though (it's a different image) ! My basic premise is...the eye is over PP'd....nothing else :)

arash_hazeghi
10-25-2009, 12:08 AM
ok, thank you, I did learn a lot though (it's a different image) ! My basic premise is...the eye is over PP'd....nothing else :)

100% crop from original, after downsample, sharpen and contrast adjustment the eye will appear sharper than the surrounding feathers due to its bright color.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/pupil.jpg

Stu Bowie
10-25-2009, 03:25 AM
Arash, excellent detail captured, and I like the take off pose. Good colourful foliage in the BG too. Well captured.

David Fletcher
10-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Super shot Arash. Like the take off pose and foliage. Thanks for the info too. Good to learn about differing birds.

Bill McCrystyn
10-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Raptors eyes will display different contours. The Osprey is another good example. How the light hits the birds is key.

Doug Brown
10-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Impressive capture against a varied BG.

arash_hazeghi
10-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks guys, what do you think about the crop, it is not 3:2 AR, did you notice? does it work here?

Bill McCrystyn
10-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Are you saying a 3 to 2 angle ratio ?? All I know is for a full frame I don't know where else you would put it.

Juan Carlos Vindas
10-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Sure I like it!

Great looking raptor, love the up wing and live BG. I prefer the 3:2 ratio, but that's just my taste.

Dave Barnes
10-26-2009, 06:02 AM
I like the image and you PP seems to be great. I like the detail on the image as presented and the colour of the bird and BG. Works well together.
Arash I prefer a 2/3 frame ratio.