PDA

View Full Version : Tinker's Creek Gorge

Jim Buescher
10-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I managed to get this image on one of the more optimal days for landscape photography (no wind, no rain, no harsh sun, no tourists) during the peak of the Fall colors here. My vantage point was the top of a cliff overlooking Tinker's Creek as it cuts through this gorge in a local park that is part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in Ohio

http://jimbuescher.zenfolio.com/img/v7/p1044927493-4.jpghttp://jimbuescher.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p1046778055-4.jpg

40D
Sigma 20-40 f2.8 @ 20mm
1/8sec. @ f8
ISO 100
Polarizer filter

Dave Mills
10-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi Jim, Very nice lighting and beautiful color with the creek being the center of interest. I cropped the image(hated to crop out the beautiful tree) but wanted to accentuate the creek more. Would have liked just a bit more room on the left. Attractive image!

Jeffrey Sipress
10-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Nice image, Jim.

I don't think the crop offered above is better. In this case, the colorful trees are what this image is all about and the creek is so insignificant that it is not really more effective even in the cropped version. Bring on the colors!

Roman Kurywczak
10-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Jim,
Dave's crop does bring the river into more prominance....and the OP really loses it. I do feel the wider view offers the colors up better.....but the angle and focal point are not prominant enough in both. You chose a perfect light to go out i.....just don't feel the overall scene is strong enough.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Nice image and colors Jim, good detail and exposure, a anchor point would be great but sometimes they are not to be found.

Ed Vatza
10-27-2009, 08:56 AM
From the Bedford Reservation Overlook, I assume. I realize you are local there (Twinsburg) but were you part of the Tony Sweet Workshop? There was a Jim in the workshop but I don't recall the last name. I ask because we were there on the morning of the 24th as well.

Jim Buescher
10-27-2009, 10:58 AM
From the Bedford Reservation Overlook, I assume. I realize you are local there (Twinsburg) but were you part of the Tony Sweet Workshop? There was a Jim in the workshop but I don't recall the last name. I ask because we were there on the morning of the 24th as well.
Ed,
No, I wasn't part of the workshop, I am a member of the Photographic Society that sponsored it though. This image was actually taken the morning of the 20th (posted on the 24th). I took the shot from a lesser known place about a mile upstream from the overlook you were at, it's a small rocky outcrop about 3ft wide x 5ft long with a straight drop of about 150ft!:eek: Hope you enjoyed the workshop.

Ed Vatza
10-27-2009, 04:29 PM
The workshop was great, Jim. If you are interested in seeing some of my images from the workshop in your beautiful park, they can be found at http://www.itsmynaturephotography.com/galleries/cuyahoga-valley-national-park-tony-sweet-workshop/

By the way, you image looks great to me. I ended up deep-sixing all my images from the overlook. Just didn't like the way they looked. I can try to fix a bad image but all I'll end up with is a better-looking bad image! :(