PDA

View Full Version : The Smokey Mountains

Jeffrey Sipress
10-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Just returned from my first visit to the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. Conditions were wild, with snow falling on fall colors. But a bit lower, things were sweet in a classic way. It was magic to see this in person.

Canon 1Ds3, 24-70L

http://machinearts.com/bpnimages/smokieview1.jpg

Dave Mills
10-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Hi Jeffrey, Very nice image of the layered mountains of the Smokeys. I like how the band of warm light is hitting the foreground mountains and your eye moves along the various layers. Just enough sky which carries interest. I tried a plus 10 of highlights and it brought out the clouds definition a bit more without changing the mood. Well handled!

David Thomasson
10-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Very nice. The crystal clarity and rich colors in the foreground make the receding planes all the more evident. The varied play of light and shadow adds to the sense of depth.

I'm not sure, but it looks like you applied a warming filter to the sky and skipped an area at top left.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8065/skypuzzle.jpg

Morkel Erasmus
10-25-2009, 09:20 AM
lovely scene - just love the layers, colours and depth here Jeffrey...

Roman Kurywczak
10-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey Jeffrey,
I'm not against the warm color tone.....but do agree with Dave that you may be able to eek out a bit more detail in the sky. You may also want to explore adding a bit of black to the neutrals or blacks in selective color......may give it the final bit of depth. You may have to pull back on the reds a touch after that......as it will boost those colors......so just something to explore.
All in all very well composed and nice mood to the scene.

Jeffrey Sipress
10-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks Roman.

I did most of the things you suggested. That's how I got it to look this way, and I'm happy with it.

Julie Kenward
10-26-2009, 07:24 AM
I think it's lovely! I am really hoping to get there next year and can't wait to see this in person as well. What beautiful lighting you caught against the tops of the hills.

Jim Buescher
10-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Beautiful capture Jeff. Love the spotlight effect on the brilliant colors. Sky looks good, especially like the hint of the slanted rays coming through the clouds. The only way to top this would be if there was a soaring eagle, still, it's almost heaven as is.:)

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Great capture Jeff, it has a warm foreground and as you look toward the horizon the cooler the image gets. Very well composed

Buddy scherr
10-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Got a verbal Mmmmm from me when I opened the thumbnail - Beautiful.