PDA

View Full Version : Beachscape

Dave Blinder
10-24-2009, 06:20 PM
My first landscape posting on bpn..

As always apologize in advance for watermark and frame, placed there for theft prevention. This was on a sloped beach, thus the horizon wasn't completely straight. Ok as is, or does this require further rotation? All other composition/processing tips great appreciated!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2614/4039349045_41e0ce79a0_o.jpg

Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Exposure: 0.04 sec (1/25)
Aperture: f/10.0
Focal Length: 10 mm
Exposure: 0.00
ISO Speed: 250

Dave Mills
10-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Hi Dave, Welcome to the landscape forum. Yes, I think it could stand a bit of CCW rotation.(not much though) Shooting at 10mm your bound to get some distortion. The warm light adds to the strength of the image along with the diagonally placed branch which is acting as a leading line. My preference would not have the 2 right branches going out of the frame and I might crop the sky a bit above the right hand cloud. Pleasing image!!

Dave Blinder
10-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for stopping in Dave! All comments noted, and I had concerns about the branches heading out of the frame as well.

Morkel Erasmus
10-25-2009, 02:48 PM
welcome to the landscape forum Dave! I like the great light, simplistic composition and depth you captured, and also wish the twigs weren't leading out of the frame. I would still add a slight rotation as the horizon bugs me a bit.

Roman Kurywczak
10-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi Dave,
You nailed the light and I agree with Morkel on the rotation and Dave with the branch edges.......good idea to keep in mind for the future.....I don't feel the branch is a strong enough FG element as it blends too much with the FG......if the shadow was more pronounced it may help......so backing up was the way to go. I think you have gone out in the great light.....you may want to explore a stronger FG element.