PDA

View Full Version : Gull with point-and-shoot

Richard Stern
10-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I'm posting this because I didn't think it was too bad for the equipment used. I was in Venice, Italy recently and didn't take any dSLR or long lenses - just a pocket p&s, a Panasonic -DMC-ZS3. One of the very few bird images I was able to get was this - a Black-headed Gull against an old building. About a 50% crop, and some noise removed, bg blurred a little.

1/125, f4.9, ISO80, 49.2mm (300mm. 35mm. equivalent).

The camera performed very well in street, scenic and people images, but I think it would only be suitable for birds on rare occasions, and better than no camera at all!

Richard

Jeff Cashdollar
10-24-2009, 03:55 PM
You must have been close (49MM) and with the large crop it looks pretty good for P&S. The small technology is not on par with the high-end stuff but the gap is closing - well done - I like it.

BG and composition are great!

Lance Peters
10-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi Richard - Do like the BG - head area looks a little soft (Movement?) The addition of a catchlight in the eye in PP would help.
Not looking bad for a P&S.
:)

Alfred Forns
10-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi Richard Great camera to take on a trip !!! Not sure about the camera but the widest was probably 2.8? Can take advantage and go wide open, remember this tiny sensor has great dof !!!

I have G10 and change things all the time.

I like the composition and overall feel !! Good point and shoot bird !! .... hope you will post some trip images in Travel !!!

Harold Davis
10-24-2009, 06:49 PM
really nice with the P&S!! agree with lance. the catchlight would rid it of the dead eye and make it a big time keeper!!!

Gus Cobos
10-24-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi Richard,
I like the composition, image and capture...you did well with the point and shoot...keep them coming...:cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
10-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Artie has a great thread on creating a catchlight. Basically, clone from a light place on the image, reduce very very small. Position in upper left hand side and make it uneven not to look manufactured,

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Nice P&S image. Good composition, nice pose and beautiful background. Apart from the movement, the NR and blurring the background probably contribute some softness to the bird.

Richard Stern
10-25-2009, 02:20 PM
Hi

Thanks,

I have added a catchlight, and done a little cleaning up around the head. Hope this looks better.

Richard

Alfred Forns
10-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Looks better Richard ... btw when adding a catchlight might as well position to the front so the bird does not appear looking back !!!