PDA

View Full Version : Harrier

Kiran Khanzode
10-24-2009, 08:59 AM
I wish the sun was lower but I like the angle of entry in the frame. This a Northern Harrier?

Techs: EOS 7D, 400 f/5.6 @5.6, 1/3200, hand held.

Kiran

Vivek Khanzode
10-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Yep... looks like one...How heavy of a crop is this? Eye is sharp! Don't like the light, but love the pose...

Stu Bowie
10-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Kiran, the most important thing with the angle of light you had, is that its cast on the head and eye perfectly. I like the intense stare, and I feel the comp works well.

Daniel Cadieux
10-24-2009, 10:33 AM
The head and eye are nice and clear. Not crazy about the heavy shadow cast by the wing. A higher (and better) or straight down wing position would have perhaps cleared that shadow (do you have any such frames, or was it just gliding by?).

Axel Hildebrandt
10-24-2009, 12:39 PM
I like the angle and look-back pose and would try to lighten the areas that are not sunlit.

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I like the intense stare, sharpness and head angle, and wish the light and/or wing position was more in your favour (although it does look like it was gliding by).

What was the ISO setting on the 7D here, and how much of a crop is it?

Kiran Khanzode
10-24-2009, 01:25 PM
@Vivek : This was a 50% crop, the 7D 50% crops are not that bad (mostly).

@Daniel: I, too hate the shadows under the wings. This was a quick glide (didn't notice it coming from behind, until it was almost too late)

@Axel: I will try it, I did add a little fill-light in ACR.

@Stuart: Agreed, thanks !

@Morkel, Thx, ISO 400, 50% crop.

Next time, I am going to try and keep the sun behind me. Going to buy a bike now(right now)...can't chase these guys all day long on foot :D.

Fabs Forns
10-24-2009, 02:02 PM
I wish you would have used 2500 instead of 3200 as to have better light in the body.
After the fact, I used a Gold Reflector in Nik Color Efex to lighten the body, if that's something you do.
Hope you like it.

arash_hazeghi
10-24-2009, 04:24 PM
You got the head and eye sharp, good job, but wing position is not good and light is very harsh, next time try to get the banking position when the sun is behind you.

Fabs repost is a good attempt, but the colors are off, harriers don't heave yellow under wings :D

Harshad Barve
10-24-2009, 08:45 PM
nice compo and sharpness ,
lovely repost by Fabs , cant comment on underwing pose as I have never seen then
TFS

BTW Kiran nice to see your birds quite often :):)

Kiran Khanzode
10-24-2009, 11:05 PM
I just bought a mountain bike for chasing birds, bro....more images to come :-)...before I go in a few days to shoot my favorite tigers of India. :-). You definitely know where my motivation to shoot burds is coming from, don't you, harry !?! :-)

Fabs, lovely re-post, but I agree with Arash(thx and totally agree with your critik) :-). I just wanted to show the AF works when required, this is the first frame of 4...at a really short notice from the bird.

Harshad Barve
10-24-2009, 11:33 PM
I just bought a mountain bike for chasing birds, bro....more images to come :-)...before I go in a few days to shoot my favorite tigers of India. :-). You definitely know where my motivation to shoot burds is coming from, don't you, harry !?! :-)

So now we can your images quite often in Avians
Heading to Kanha tomorrow with Santosh ( Our driver ) hope to get Leopard this time ,'

BTW nice solution to chase birds