PDA

View Full Version : Oryx Sunset (HDR)

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2009, 04:00 AM
I took this picture in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, South Africa, and decided to apply HDR to it to enhance the details up front.

The sun was setting behind this oryx who was grazing on the long grass on the crest of a dune.

Own critique is that I didn't leave enough space at the bottom - for all my other shots of this sequence I did, but in the one where she looked straight at me, I didn't :o:(

Would love to have your thoughts...I have a nice silhouette version of this photo as well, but this one appealed to me more because I did see a lot of detail up front with my naked eye.

Techs:
Canon 40D with 100-400 L
3-exposure HDR in Photomatix

Marc Mol
10-24-2009, 04:37 AM
As I have said before, beautiful color & comp Morkel with Peter's repost an improvement.

Stu Bowie
10-24-2009, 05:41 AM
Hey Mork, you are making me sick with these wonderful images. Great eye contact, and as we all well know, clouds maketh the sunsets, and you certainly have them here. Lovely colours, and well done for capturing detail too. Peter has it well with regards to removing the sun, and also agree a slither on the bottom will work. You could sort that out in no time mate. Well captured BTW.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-24-2009, 07:17 AM
I agree with Peter get the sun out of there as they conflict. Very nice Composition and Peter's repost makes the image a winner.

Both Stuart and Morkel are making me jealous as I'm photographing whitetails before firearm season and have no lions, cheetahs or leopards stalking. Someday I will get a chance

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2009, 07:56 AM
thanks for the suggestions and repost Peter! and thanks for the feedback Marc, Stu & Curly.

@ Stu - here is one with the space added and sun removed...

@ Curly - I want to photograph the North-American landscape and wildlife just as much, why don't we swop out a bit?? ;)

David Fletcher
10-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey, Morkel. Great shot. Some cracking good work coming out. Just a heads up, some cloning repetition marks showing on the right, less so on the bottom. Pic looks to have more punch too. Well done.

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2009, 01:08 PM
thanks Dave - saw that now...
I didn't actually extend on the right, so it's only where I added on the bottom, right hand side :)

Harshad Barve
10-24-2009, 09:19 PM
amazing image, lovely light and settings , repost looks better
TFS

ps, I not fan of HDR in wildliife images

Morkel Erasmus
10-25-2009, 04:04 AM
thanks Bhai - it's not for everyone I know, but I happen to like applying it there, so I'll keep at it until I get it just right :)

Phil Ertel
10-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi Morkel, I love the sky. The pose of the Oryx is also pleasing. I think your on the right track with the repost. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Canuel
10-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Removal of the sun makes a big difference. I like the look but might tone it down just a tiny bit (the repost looks pretty good). One thing I'd fix is that little bright spot on his shoulder. Because it's almost the same color as the sky in the BG it makes me think he's got a hole through him! (probably just me :))

Morkel Erasmus
10-25-2009, 03:15 PM
thanks Phil & Steve...

Steve - I think that's the blossom on the end of a grass stem but I see your point :)