PDA

View Full Version : Black Crowned Night Heron

Stephen Stephen
10-23-2009, 10:06 PM
I created this image in August, 2008 while in Hamilton, Ontario. Although I really like this pose, the red eye and the lighting it is a VERY big crop (~25% of full frame) and I've been hesitant to post it.

I couldn't approach any closer to the bird because it was on a bar which was on Harbour Authority property so I had to photograph it from the public road.

Canon EOS 40D, Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm, 1/2500 seconds, f 8, ISO 400.

I suppose that I should have reduced the ISO and increased the exposure. I'd like to get your advice on the crop as well. Should I have tried a landscape format version? I'd have to clone out a few branches that are not visible here.

Harshad Barve
10-23-2009, 10:35 PM
talk about that red eye :D
I liked the pose here very much
compo looks great here and I may try landscape showing whole scene
Blacks looks blocked
TFS

david cramer
10-23-2009, 11:15 PM
I certainly like the crop you've presented.

Stu Bowie
10-24-2009, 05:50 AM
The vertical comp is fine as is, I would just move him up a bit higher in the frame. I like the pose, and detail, and you have brought out that red eye very well. I would maybe sharpen him a bit more.

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't mind giving the birds some space these days, especially as it preserves vital IQ which would go to waste when cropping. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this as a landscape crop with some space on the right - although IQ looks good here, maybe just add some sharpening...

Stephen Stephen
10-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks Harshad, David, Stuart and Morkel. I appreciate your constructive comments. I'll try some of your suggestions to see what I like best.

Raymond Barlow
10-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Looks great as is Stephen, congrats., if anything, maybe a little off the top.