PDA

View Full Version : Black Phase Eastern Grey Squirrel

Stephen Stephen
10-23-2009, 09:42 PM
I created this image last Sunday. Several friends and I were photography three Brant Geese (occasional migrating visitors) at one of our local parks when I noticed some movement in a maple tree nearby. This black squirrel was feeding on maple seeds. Well over half the population of local Eastern greys in Ottawa are black phase.

I was intrigued that way he was holding the seeds in his front paws. They have great dexterity. I liked the way that he was framed by the leaves and the fact that the black rust on the leaves was his exact colour. Cropped to about 50% of full frame portrait format.

This is another busy image but I don't see these fellows perched out in the on maples very often.

Canon EOS 40D, Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm on Manfroto monopod. ExposureTime - 1/800 seconds
f 6.30, ISO 640, Flash - Not fired

Harshad Barve
10-23-2009, 10:03 PM
what a cute squireel this is , nice habitat and busy BG looks great here
TFS

Stu Bowie
10-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Stephen, good job with the exposure on the blacks, and I like the eye contact. Overall sharp, and love the colours of the surrounding foliage. I would maybe take a bit off the top, and add to the bottom if you have.

David Fletcher
10-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Awesome fall colors Stephen. Done well. TFS

Stephen Stephen
10-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Thank you Harshad, Stuart, Peter and David. I must admit that Grey Squirrels are not my favourite subjects because they're very destructive to the bird feeders in my yard. That being said they are expert problem solvers when it comes to accessing my bird seed no matter what obstacles I try and put in their way.

Steve Canuel
10-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I like the peek-a-boo look and the contrast and colors of the surrounding foilage. I might take a bit off the bottom.

Stephen Stephen
10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Thank you Steve.