PDA

View Full Version : Slow Death

Morkel Erasmus
10-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I created this image from the vehicle window in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. One shot. I just liked the huge dead camelthorn tree showing the harshness of this terrain, against the backdrop of the contrasting beauty of the terrain.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Techs:
Canon 1000D with 18-55mm IS @ 51mm
f11 @ 1/250 SS @ ISO-100

Roman Kurywczak
10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Hey Morkel,
Huge fan of dead trees...especially contrasted against such a harsh environment.....I do realize that you were constrained to the vehicle.....so getting lower was out....and looking at the specs....sunny 16.......light was not at its best...that being said......I think you handled all the obstacles very well and placed the tree nicely in the frame....only recommendation is to tone down some of the brightest branches....especially the ones going into the green bush.....this will even out the tones better and eliminate any distractions. Given the limitations of your situation....you handled this well!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice Composition Morkel, a few clouds would of helped.

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2009, 06:06 AM
thanks Roman & Curly.

there were actually magnificent clouds overhead, only a little higher - I took some different shots and will upload one sometime during the weekend.

Roman - if I could have gotten out of the car I would - but with hungry lions around and it being against the law I figured I'd rather not ;)

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2009, 08:11 AM
Hey Morkel,
Law breaking aside.....reminds me of a joke.....you needed a friend to get out.... wearing heavy boots.....you sneakers....see where I'm going with this:eek:?

Morkel Erasmus
10-24-2009, 08:15 AM
haha yeah :D - know that joke - you don't need to outrun the lion, you just need to outrun the other guy ;)

Dave Mills
10-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Hi Morkel, Agree with Romans comments and that you were restricted to staying in the car which can kill many compositional options..

Morkel Erasmus
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
thanks Dave :)