PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Reflections

Grady Weed
10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time: 10/22/2009 09:37:10, Shutter Speed: 1/50Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F11, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -1/3, ISO 400, Hand held, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 135.0 mm, RAW, Flash Off, White Balance: Auto, AI focus AF. Full frame for a 12x18 print.

This is a large pond on Route 160 about 30 minutes from my home. As you can see, we were having wet, cool weather, with overcast skies and low clouds, no breeze. This one of 7 great oppurtunties I had for some good shooting. And I really needed the emotional boost. Lay it on me for critiques!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Nice colors and reflection, too bad the sky is blah

Roman Kurywczak
10-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Hey Grady,
Glad to see you getting out!.....here goes the critique....I think you need a hair of CW rotation....if you scroll, you can see what I mean.....while I agrre with Curly that the sky is blah.....you did well minimizing it and after the rotation.....even less will be left and I am ok with what is left. I think the main trunk and colors are placed nicely on the right ROT line.....I do feel you ned to bring up some of the rest of the shoreline.....just to add the bit of fall color pop to the rest of the scene....try either a S/H adjustment of a bit of a layers adjustment on the treeline....this should add the bit of impact this needs to showcase the mood of this fall scene. Let me know what you think and re-post it if you give it a try.

Grady Weed
10-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Roman, in the full res tiff file, the shore line is quite visible and much brighter all in the image itself. I can clearly see after you made it known how much darker the posted jpeg is. I do not know what happened in the conversion. I am overwhelmed at the moment to figure it out. Thanks for everyones imput however.

Grace Scalzo
10-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Grady, I love the calm quiet that you've photographed so beautifully here, the fall colors really have their chance to shine. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Dave Mills
10-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Grady, Beautiful full color along with their reflections. Agree with Roman's suggestions and realise the sky can be a problem in this type of image. Either one includes very little(which you did) or gets rid of it completely. Depends on the scene and how it adapts to the crop. I believe you handled it the best you could. Very glad to hear your getting out shooting...