PDA

View Full Version : Yum... House Sparrow (Merlin)

Brian Barcelos
10-23-2009, 12:28 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2768/4037805060_7e91f0031a_o.jpg

While driving around looking for my Red-Tailed buddy I found this guy instead happily feasting on a House Sparrow. Wasn't too happy with the shooting angle and distracting branches all around. Bye the time I decided he was quite comfortable with my presence I was about to climb onto the roof of my car to get a better angle but four unruly crows decided they didn't want any Merlin in their turf and scared him away. Boy was I P.Oed. Oh well maybe next time.

The dark shadows on him were from a tree behind me and when I tried exposing to bring out more details I was blowing the whites and yellows so I decided to under expose a little and bring out the darks in pp. This was cropped to a Vert. This was the best I could manage. Hope it's acceptable. All C/C greatly appreciated.

Canon EOS 50D
Aperture-Priority AE
Tv 1/1600
Av 8.0
Evaluative Metering
Exposure Comp -2/3
ISO 640
Tamron 200-500mm
Focal Length 500.0 mm

Dave Blinder
10-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Nice capture Brian, here's a quick down and dirty repair job: clone stamp, spot healing brush, and some freehand lines added. I'd have to study a Merlin more for better repair, but this one should be salvageable.

Great head angle and timing here. Body looks heavily shadowed, and I think fill flash would really improve this one.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2760/4037906674_63f6b3cbf1_o.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
10-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I like the light and eye contact and the repost helps with the branches in the foreground. Would it have been possible to move to your right and back up a little for a less steep angle?

Brian Barcelos
10-23-2009, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the comments.

Dave, I did pretty much the same thing you did but decided it didn't look natural enough and that's why I keep the branches in. Thanks though.

Axel, This was the cleanest angle believe it or not. I cloned out a whole mess of branches on the right side of this image.

Kiran Khanzode
10-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Good to know you can drive around looking for your red tail. For mine, I have to walk/run cos he's inaccessible from the roads :-). Great shot, lovely repost.

Harshad Barve
10-23-2009, 10:17 PM
shooting angle looks steep here , but you have done very well here
TFS