PDA

View Full Version : Back lit Snail Kite

Fabs Forns
10-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Capture at Loxahatchee NWR. I like to experiment with other light angles for a change and this was a good opportunity.
Nik Color Efex Complete's Reflectors Effects in soft gold used instead of flash.
The "donuts" in the background are specular highlights from the back light and they take the shape of the diaphragm depending on the aperture, wide open here they are round. With a very small aperture they become octagonal.

Model: NIKON D3
Lens (mm): 700 (500/4 VR plus 1.4X)
ISO: 800
Aperture: 5.6
Shutter: 1/500

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Interesting image Fabs. I really like backlit ones. The wing spread and the open beak convey lot of agression. A little more sharpness would have made it even better. Doesn't look like camera shake as the left wing tip seems quite sharp. Was the focus a little off or just the bird movement?

KD

Manos Papadomanolakis
10-23-2009, 12:18 PM
what a killer pose.....beautiful wing position too!!!

Brian Barcelos
10-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I love backlit shots, especially when all the detail underneath is visible like this one Fabs. Great job here and I love the transparency of the primaries and tail. Open mouth puts it over the top. Congrats

Jim Fenton
10-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Fabs...

NIK did a great job of bringing out the detail in the back lit subject.

I like the aggressive calling / wingspread posture. Head / body look sharp and there does appear to be motion blur in the right wing, but not a huge deal.

The background is just a bit too much for me as that's where my eyes go first when viewing the image.

Malcolm Benn
10-23-2009, 08:53 PM
wow you certainly do like a challenge .. great pose and detail in the underwings

Harshad Barve
10-23-2009, 10:15 PM
great pose , open beak and nice backlit
TFS

Doug Brown
10-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Nice job with the exposure Fabs! I like the screaming pose and the spread wings. I might try to bring out the red of the eye just a little.