PDA

View Full Version : Florida birding end of December

kklasman
10-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm considering a bird photography vacation to Florida at the end of December and am looking for recommendations. I've never been to Florida and am pretty much open to any location there. We will be driving our RV down from NH.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Jeff Donald
10-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Florida is big state. Any idea yet where you will be staying?

kklasman
10-24-2009, 06:53 PM
I'll be my RV, and I can go anywhere and have effectively no restrictions.

Connie Mier
10-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Kevin, it would be a shame to not see the Everglades if you have that kind of freedom. There are places to RV camp inside the park and you can stay very close to the Anhinga Trail and other hot spots for birds. Check out the ENP website for camping info.

Judd Patterson
10-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Kevin, there are just so many places for bird photography in Florida in December. The entire state has potential, but I'm more familiar with the southern half/third. You might want to consider a loop trip where you could hit many of the hottest spots. I might suggest you come south on I-75, across on Tamiami Trail (Highway 41) and north on I-95. With that route you could hit at least some of these: Fort DeSoto, Little Estero, Ding-Darling NWR, Corkscrew Swamp, Tigertail Beach, Big Cypress, Everglades National Park, Wakodahatchee/Green Cay, Viera Wetlands, Merrit Island NWR, etc... There are tons of other little side trips you could take from this route too depending upon your interests and tolerance for crowds (there are some find state parks where you can get away from most of the crowds). I hope that gives you a place to start. There is a lot to see down here!

kklasman
10-25-2009, 07:03 AM
It sounds like I can't really go wrong at that time of year, which is what I was concerned about. Thanks for the replies.