PDA

View Full Version : The Trees are on Fire

Nathan Beaulne
10-22-2009, 09:12 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2484/4033955724_a874a9e567_b.jpg

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is right place to post this but it seemed the best fit. I've been experimenting with fall colours the last couple weeks using a combination of pan/zoom blurs. I think this one turned out decent, its a vertical pan blur of maple trees. Shot in Barrie, Ontario

Stats

Canon Rebel XS
55-250 IS
Exposure: 0.1 sec (1/10)
Aperture: f/29.0
Focal Length: 250 mm
ISO Speed: 100
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Julie Kenward
10-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Nathan, this is the perfect place for this (although you could also have chosen the OOTB or landscape forums as well.) I LOVE what you've done here. I've been playing around with fall blurs as well only I was looking down while you've been looking up! I'll have to give this a try this weekend.

I think this is pretty darn good right where it is but if you want to get picky...look at the far left side where the heaviest concentration of yellow color is and imagine that as 1/3 of the image. Now go 2/3 further across the frame and find a nice place to crop it at that point...this would put the image more on the ROT's positioning. Again - this is really being picky so do what you feel is best.

Love the saturation and tonality of the two colors - they really pop against each other. There doesn't seem to be any noise in the BG either so that's also good.

I'd like to know how far you actually think you panned for this one...was it mid-tree line to the top of the tree line? Entire tree line? Did you go from bottom to top? Neat image...very nicely done!

Nathan Beaulne
10-24-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks Julie for the critique and crop suggestion, I felt it was a little unbalanced. The pan was from the top of two trees about roughly halfway down. Hope you have a great weekend shooting, its pretty gloomy here in Ontario but it should make for some decent bird photography.

Nathan

denise ippolito
10-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Beautiful amount of blur and I like the color combo-Blue and gold always work so well together.

Anita Bower
10-24-2009, 12:11 PM
A differnt type of image for this forum, which will challenge us to go out and try something new! Lovely colors, composition, light. Like Jules, I'm curious how you did it.

Mike Moats
10-26-2009, 05:21 AM
Hey Nathan, and interesting abstract. like the balance with the subject and sky. Good DOF.

Ed Vatza
10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Nice abstract look here, Nathan and nice work. I usually try to avoid sky in motion blurs/pans because they tend to often blow out. But you managed to hold the blue very well.