PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Garter Snake

Stephen Stephen
10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I created this image last August while we were visiting the Bruce Peninsula on Georgian Bay. I had stopped along a gravel road to take some photos of a small stream when I noticed this Eastern garter snake warming itself up amongst some cut cedar bushes. It's an extremely busy image but the snake never moved from the security of its hiding place so I took what I could get.

I was a hesitant to post this after seeing such wonderful big game images but I do like the dew drop on it's muzzle. I had my Sigma 105mm Macro and the 50-500mm but it wouldn't let me approach with the Macro.

Canon EOS 40D, Sigma 50-500mm at 417 mm. 1/200 seconds, f 20, ISO 64, Flash - Flash not fired, compulsory flash mode

Image cropped (from right and top) to about 80% of full frame.

Alfred Forns
10-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Stephen I wish you would have had better light for this beauty, downloaded and played with darkening corners, taming contrast in center, smoothing etc but not much headway ...

Tech wise would have gone at it wide open to minimize the clutter focusing just on the head and use of flash could have helped with contrast filling shadows !! Snake shots are always tough !!!

Ed Cordes
10-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Cute little guy. You did a good job of getting detail in the snale. However, the foliage around is really bright and a bit much. Like Al said, the light was not with you.

Stu Bowie
10-23-2009, 12:52 AM
I wouldnt approach any snake with a macro lens. We all strive for clear shots of our subjects, but when photographing nature, thats not always possible, and I have accepted these days that if the subject is surrounded by busy BG, so be it. No matter how one manouvre's to get the perfect shot, its not always possible. The other factor, first get the shot, and if the animal hasnt bolted, then try and compose the best angle. Cheers.

Stephen Stephen
10-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Thank you Al, Ed, Stuart and Peter. I'll take all of you comments into consideration if I get another opportunity in the future.