PDA

View Full Version : National Geographic

Erik Anderson
10-22-2009, 06:15 PM
The images on this site are the best on the web, but check this out: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/11/kingfishers/james-photography

Jackie Schuknecht
10-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Amazing shots, especially the dive and the underwater shots.

James Shadle
10-22-2009, 07:31 PM
They are wonderful!
Can you say set-up?

I don't believe I would allow the nest image on BPN.
The birds were most certainly disturbed during the set-up for that image:(.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Fearless Spectator
Looks like your getting into the game:).

James

Alfred Forns
10-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the link !!! Stunning images !!!

Doug Brown
10-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Setup or not, a pretty awesome collection of images.

Robert O'Toole
10-23-2009, 04:42 PM
intersting, thanks for the link.

High quality images, technically great but many look like they were shot in a fish bowl, I mean the lighting and feel are very artificial.

I have had the pleasure of taking a trip with a Geographic photographer once and the stories I heard made me lose most of my regard for the magazine. The budgets are so high and the pressure is so great on the photographers its amazing.

Robert

Harshad Barve
10-23-2009, 09:07 PM
The birds were most certainly disturbed during the set-up for that image:(.

how we can go so close to a bird who is nesting and has few days old chicks ,

Duncan Armour
11-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Worth realising I think that Charlie Hamilton James is one of the BBC's top wildlife film makers and camera men who lives on the river where these were taken. He has invested the best part of twenty years understanding the behaviour of the animals and birds he photographs. And of course many of these will be set-ups too. This isn't someone who has just pushed a lens into a nest hole to take a picture. For someone who has so much of his reputation invested in what he does, and whose work demonstrates his abiding love for the creatures he films, I'm sure he would be at pains to avoid any disturbance. I've never met him, but his work is all about his passion for wildlife. So I'd be careful not to pass judgement too hastily. Worth realising too, that any disturbance would lead to the loss of his Schedule 1 licence that he needs to be allowed to film this species in the UK.

I've see many photographers doing worse through ignorance.