PDA

View Full Version : Birding in Spring Hill

Scott Frye
10-22-2009, 04:34 PM
I know very little about Florida (not even sure if Spring Hill is considered in South Florida) but will be there Jan-Mar and looking for a place to go birding. I would like to leave at 5ish and be be on site, locked and loaded, by the Golden Hour. Any ideas of places I can start Googling for bird photography sites?

Connie Mier
10-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Scott, I live in south Florida and never heard of Spring Hill but a google earth search shows that it is about 1 hr north of Tampa/St Petersburg. In which case, you are not far from Fort DeSoto, about 1 hr away I would guess. Others in the area may have more or better recommendations for you. FYI, you are a good 5-6 hr drive from the Everglades national park.

James Shadle
10-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Scott,
You will be very close to Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/homosassasprings/default.cfm

Should be some nice opportunities there. Can you say Wood Ducks?
There is also a small zoo left over from the old days.

James

Jeff Donald
10-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Honeymoon Island and the Dunedin Causeway leading to the island offer good opportunities most of the year. Pinellas County has many good parks that offer fair to good birding in the winter months. Parks such as Chestnut Park, Anderson Park, Philippe Park, and the new Eagle Lake Park are within an hours drive or so. Howard Park in Tarpon Springs is undergoing renovation and may not be open yet when you're here. Eagle Lake is also under construction, but will offer amazing opportunities when it finally opens.