PDA

View Full Version : Ground Hornbill ( backlit )

Stu Bowie
10-22-2009, 11:13 AM
I didnt choose the best subject for a backlit subject as they have dark plumage. It wasnt intentional to have the sun behind him, but I wanted to capture this wonderful bird. These guys are scavangers and I have seen them open elephant dung looking for bugs. Although they walk most of the time and they can be seen covering fair distances, they can fly. Taken in the Kruger National Park. Got rid of some grass covering his body.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 200mm
1/250
F/7.1
ISO 400

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand held from the car

Tony Whitehead
10-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Nice striding pose although seems just slightly angled away. I imagine a little more than +0.3 would have given better black details but at that focal length and shutter speed a flash would have added some light nicely. I know these scenarios don't leave much time for preparation but possibly some minus EC in camera to darken the BG and +EC with flash would have given an interesting result. Backlight is highlighting the red neck nicely.

Geraldo Hofmann
10-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I like the backlight ... maybe it woudl have been even a better shot if the bird would be a little bit more to the right so that it's tail is not in front of the dark tree.... but of course I don't know whether this shot was possible.

Geraldo

Raymond Barlow
10-22-2009, 10:20 PM
tough situation, and you did well with this light., we make the best of each situation., well done.

Harshad Barve
10-23-2009, 01:59 AM
all said above Stuart , but I am enjoying this species
TFS

denise ippolito
10-23-2009, 06:47 AM
Stuart, I like the backlighting it adds some interest. The bird species is cool and I have not seen one. Wish for a better HA.

Stu Bowie
10-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks a lot guys and Denise.

Tony, I agree with your comment 100%. I actually dont have an external flash, and not sure if the pop up camera flash would be that effective. Getting the right angle with these guys is also pretty difficult, as they are constantly on the move.

Steve Canuel
10-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Hi Stuart,
Neat looking bird and I like that you captured him foraging instead of staring right at you. Also like the golden grass. Colors look nice as well. Despite the conditions, there's still bit of detail in the feathers to my eye. It may be the nictating membrane but the eye looks a bit hazed over. I think a bit of contrast tweaks might get you a little more detail there.

Stu Bowie
10-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Steve, thanks for your feedback. I think its the lack of light that is giving the hazy look on the eye.