PDA

View Full Version : African Fish Eagle takeoff.

Marc Mol
10-22-2009, 06:49 AM
African Fish Eagle takeoff.
Always a welcome sight, with a pair just about every kilometre on the banks of the Chobe river- Botswana.
Try as I might, I couldn't quite recover the blown top shoulder.
D3 500VR 1/3000s ISO500 f/5.6 -0.5EV.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/photos/688942762_3Tkrd-XL.jpg

Ilija Dukovski
10-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Very nice bird and pose, BG too, the histogram does not show clipped highlights here.
The white on the neck is flat but recoverable I think.
I hope you don't mind I cropped it a bit and did linear burn on the neck with just a bit of QM from the
breast area.

Cheers,

Harshad Barve
10-22-2009, 08:16 AM
awesome capture , lovely compo and sharpness
TFS

Kiran Poonacha
10-22-2009, 09:05 AM
loved the take off pose, good details and the perch adds well to the frame, I like both crops..

Daniel Cadieux
10-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Excellent timing on your part. The combination of high sun and near wing position has created a large shadow on the legs and feet (and a good portion of the body). Nice "perch" - and Ilija's crop has made it cleaner. I like the water serving as a backdrop.

Brian Barcelos
10-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Love the body angle and BG. Wished he wasn't in so much shadow but nothing you could do about the sun. Congrats

Marc Mol
10-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Appreciate the comments guys.

Very nice bird and pose, BG too, the histogram does not show clipped highlights here.
The white on the neck is flat but recoverable I think.
I hope you don't mind I cropped it a bit and did linear burn on the neck with just a bit of QM from the
breast area.

Cheers,

Ilija
I find sometimes that very small areas that are clipped do not show up in the histogram, such as this one and you think you have enough compensation in camera, only to find that you have a small area that is not recoverable.
I believe this is what happened in this case. To be certain is to have highlight blinkies activated in camera.
If I remember, I hadn't checked that tool, but will be more vigilant in future.
Thanks for the repost.

Stu Bowie
10-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Great timing Marc, and this is pin sharp. I like the light on the far wing, and I also dont find the shoulder blown in your OP. Wonderful call these guys have, unmistakable.

Morkel Erasmus
10-23-2009, 06:30 AM
awesome shot of my favourite bird - repost shows that the whites can be salvaged...