PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Gorge

Paul Burgess
10-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi all,

Another shot of the Niagara Escarpment. That's Logie's Creek at the bottom center, I believe.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_NgELvbgT1k0/St0OzgHbCUI/AAAAAAAABi8/kznd6dK0Z1U/s800/Niagara%20Escarpment%20Overlook.jpg

Rebel XT, 24-105@65mm, ISO 200, f/4, 1/1000sec.

Please give me your honest critique!!

Happy shooting and God bless,

-Paul

Dave Mills
10-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Paul, Interesting patterns along with color. When shooting something like this I would try and find something within the image to give you a center of interest. There is really nothing that my eye can rest on. If I could have seen more of the creek that could of been a center of interest. Also the color seems a bit flat and that could be due to the time of day this image was taken.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-23-2009, 02:25 PM
The colors look flat also and I agree with Dave on the center of interest

Roman Kurywczak
10-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Hi Paul,
I agree with the above critiques.....you really needed a stronger focal point.....although the evergreen comes close....the harsh light is too much to overcome. I think if you re-visit this scene....try placing one of the bolder or darker colors in the ROT position.....then wait for a little later/earlier light....to give stronger shadows between the layers.....this may help you with a bolder comp and ahcieve the look you are going for.

Katherine Enns
10-31-2009, 01:06 PM
I have been wanting to come back to this photo for a while, I keep thinking about it. I don't know, maybe its because I love trees, but to me this photo has most everything it needs. The edge of the escarpment with some blue sky, maybe? But the photo is about tree diversity and the s curve of the creek. It doesn't need a rock or something in it. If there was a way to make the S curve of the creek more pronounced by darkening the lower slope and bringing the light up on the upper slope.

The diversity in this photograph (of trees) is amazing, I just think the contrast and variance maybe could be enhanced more too to make the patchwork around the S curve more evident. Probably nobody will notice this post, but I think this photograph is really beautiful, and has a lot to it.