PDA

View Full Version : Bosque timing?

Kerry Perkins
10-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Hello all. I am in a position to go to Bosque in the next few weeks and was wondering if the first week of November is too early, or will I not be disappointed? My first trip...

Thanks!

Roger Clark
10-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Might be a little early. Check the bird counts. Check:
http://www.friendsofthebosque.org/

Presently only 200 snow geese.

Roger

Marina Scarr
10-21-2009, 08:23 AM
A good time to go this year is the first few days of December b/c of the full moon and the bird count will be way up by then. It does however get quite cold in the early mornings.

Rocky Sharwell
10-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Jim Neiger usually goes earlier than most--My sense is that there are less birds but some really nice color earlier in November.

Jim Neiger
10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Jim Neiger usually goes earlier than most--My sense is that there are less birds but some really nice color earlier in November.

Rocky is correct. I have done workshops in Bosque in early Nov for the past couple of years and will be there again this year. I go early to get the spectacular fall color that often disappears by Thanksgiving and to avoid the biggest crowds. I have not yet been disappointed with my decision to go in eaqrly Nov. I also get to be home or elsewhere for Thanksgiving. There are plenty of birds in early November.

Kerry Perkins
10-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Thanks all. Jim, I will see you there!