PDA

View Full Version : Autumn on the Lake

Julie Kenward
10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Okay, let's try this again! Here's another image from the other night only this one is looking more from one end instead of straight on.

I did have to lighten the left side a bit to bring up the midtones in the green area but was nicely surprised when that splash of yellow poked through. Go ahead, Roman...let me have it!

Canon 40D, EF 17-40mm f/4L
f20 @ 1/40th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, natural light, handheld
Processed in ACR & CS4; small crop, added a blue photo filter in pp to increase the tones in the sky and water a bit more.

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Such great color Julie and wonderful reflections. Those mornings when the water is like glass and the reflections perfect are really breathtaking. Thanks for sharing.

Lance Warley
10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Magazine cover, Jules. The reflection and colors are stunning.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Great composition Julie, the light is sweet also.

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2009, 04:11 PM
OK Jules,
....here goes....the pressure!!! The colors look a bit flat as presented. I also agree with the LH side being opened up a bit.....so I decided to play. I opened up the shadows some and added black to the neutrals and blacks in slective color. A bit of brightness and contrast and I also did a bit of darkening of the sky with a levels layer. Now the colors explode!!! Ideally I would still want more of a focal point..... but the darker area does balance nicely with the brilliant colors.
Over the top....maybe.....but that's what fall colors are all about!
PS......now let's discuss HH at 1/40th! Tripod, tripod, tripod!!!

Lance Warley
10-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Holy saturation, Batman!

I liked it to begin with, but this is much better. Everything looks richer, yet nothing looks overcooked. And the water looks like glass.

Jules, just like I said - cover shot!

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
You gave me a good laugh Boy Wonder.....but we are dating ourselves!

Fabs Forns
10-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Sweet capture made to shine with the repost.

Julie Kenward
10-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Excellent! I might have to PM you to find out exactly how you did that. I knew the colors were a bit flat but just couldn't get them to shine like you did.

Grady Weed
10-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Jules, Romans version is a sweet one. Love the glassy surface and the comp. Lovely blue sky and wispy clouds in the upper left too.