PDA

View Full Version : October Snow

Lynn Pilewski
10-20-2009, 05:36 PM
First time poster and new member - long time lurker and learner!

This was this past weekend in Cades Cove, TN. Snow on the high peaks and autumn color below. Any and all critiques are appreciated!

D300 70-200VR 2.8
f5.6
1/800s

Joe Senzatimore
10-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Welcome to BPN. i like the mood of this image. For me , I might crop some off the top and go to more of a pano format. Would also like to see the color in the lower portion pumped up just a bit. It seems a bit flat.

Fabs Forns
10-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Red carpet welcome to BPN, hope you can feel right at home.

I love the angry clouds and the different layers of color. Increasing the midtones, adding a few points of black to the neutrals in Selective Color, will look much better.

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi Lynn,Welcome to the landscape forum!!! Much better to post than lurk.....learn more!
I too like the layers and agree with Fabs on adding a few points to the blacks. I differ with Joe as to where i would prefer the crop.......for me, the sky has enough drama and layers to keep it.....for me the FG trees seem out of place texturally from the soft lines of the peaks.....cropping that bottom out entirely just accentuates them more as well as the different layers.
Very nice first post and looking forward to more of them!

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Welcome Lynn and a very lovely first post. I too like the expressive sky and the multitude of colors in this image. Lovely DOF and lighting all goes to make this a very pleasing image. Thanks for sharing and will look forward to your future posts.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Welcome Lynn, keep posting and thanks for sharing

Lynn Pilewski
10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the input everyone and the wonderful welcome. I tried both crops and like the bottom crop as Roman suggested. I had tried it previously and was worried that it centered the mountains too much but, on further reflection, I think it works. Have a wonderful weekend!