PDA

View Full Version : Childs Falls Swirl

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2009, 05:13 PM
I love doing leaf swirls. I was out all weekend and today doing the fall colors......this was from Saturday at Childs Falls SP up in Pensy in the rain and sleet. I sure do beat the heck out of my equipment. I climbed out on this rock and noticed the eddy.....a couple of huge leaf handfulls later....this is the result. Works best on very long exposures.....so I used the Singh Ray Vari ND to slow down the SS.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 23mm and f22 for 30 seconds and ISO 100.....all tripod mounted with bubble level in hot shoe. Singh Ray vari ND almost maxed out. 65 quality on jpeg to fit.

I tried whitening the falls as per your previous recommendations......do remember that leaves go over the falls......sometimes with my help:D.....to get the fall color in the water!

Joe Senzatimore
10-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Real fine comp. Love how the forground rock brings the eye right to the falls. Outstanding color and DOF as well.

Harold Davis
10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
i love the foreground rock pointing into the scene. the swirl is awesome and the slow shutter speed gives the silky feel to the water making the mood of the photo quite peaceful. the colors are SuuWeeet!!!

Fabs Forns
10-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Ahhhh, I'm jealous, we don't get to do anymore of those once we got here. Lovely fall colors with a clever compo.

denise ippolito
10-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Roman, I really like the swirling eddy. Only you could find one that looks so good. I love all the fall colors and the way you got some color in the water.

Julie Kenward
10-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Man, that eddy couldn't be better placed in relation to that waterfall. You picked a perfect spot and got the most out of it. I still want that water whiter but I totally get what you're saying. Did you try a cooling filter over it in pp by any chance?

Overall, a gorgeous image. I could stare at this all day.

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Just beautiful Roman and I love the composition of this one. The swirling waters to the right add another dimension of interest to this capture. Fine work !!!

Lance Warley
10-21-2009, 10:35 AM
The whiter water and the whole comp looks great.

Please through some of those leaves down here.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Good job Roman do you have your waders this time? Good job on the eddy. I'm surprised you did not clean off the rock shelf in the foreground. Great exposure and detail great job

Ed Prete
10-22-2009, 03:39 PM
fantastic how there are so many interesting elements that we're led into visually. excellent perspective with the feeling that I am seeing this practically from the surface.