PDA

View Full Version : Backlit Maple

Grady Weed
10-20-2009, 04:13 PM
I found this Maple while looking for a wide view of the fall colors. We are at peak and some places are past. With wet storms and high winds forcasted, it's all but over here. I had a barn to my right, the sun to my left up front and below was ugle ground cover and granite posts. This is full frame for a 12x18 print.

Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 10/20/2009 16:04:09, Shutter Speed 1/30Sec. Hand held, Av(Aperture Value) F11, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1, ISO 200, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, ocal Length 85.0 mm, RAW, Flash Off, White Balance Auto, AI focus AF.

I am thinking of going back tomorrow and up the shutter speed to 400 for more sharpness. What do you think?

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey Grady,
Nice to see you back getting out! I like the way you have the 2 trunks placed in the frame. I wonder if you toned this down a bit the colors would pop a bit more. I think upping the ISO would help but do wonder if overcast light would make the colors shine even more....although it would be a different look. Try underexposing this scene tommorow a bit more if you get out there agoin....compare when you get home.
Nice to have you back!!!.....and maybe I can get up there this winter to do Portland Head with you.

Jackie Schuknecht
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Nice to see you posting Grady. Good advice from Roman, think it is worth going back and trying the underexposure to see if it makes a difference.

Joe Senzatimore
10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
A beautiful scene well worth another try. Like the comp. very much.

Fabs Forns
10-20-2009, 07:26 PM
I wanted so bad to do the back lit Aspen, I see how you came to think of this :)
I like your idea very much and very glad you are into going in the filed and posting.
Big hugs,

Fabs

denise ippolito
10-20-2009, 08:13 PM
Grady, Nice to see you are out photographing the changing of the leaves. I really like your composition w/ the forked tree trunk and think that the autumn colors are great. I really like the idea of getting a bit more pop in this. Very nicely done.

Judy Lynn Malloch
10-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Wonderful color Grady and an image that can not help but make you happy just looking at it. Good suggestions from above and great to see you posting again. !!! Look forward to your future posts.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Overexposed a little and with Romans suggestions it will be a winner, Grady nice to see you posting again.