PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

Mike Dale
02-12-2008, 09:05 PM
What insurance if any do you have for your camera gear and how much does it cost?

Thanks

Mike

Alfred Forns
02-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Mike if you join NANPA you will be eligeble for ins I think is the best deal They have a minimum ammount and the you can add more camera/lenses Just check in their website for the info

Ken Kovak
02-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Mike,

I have a "Personal Articles Policy" with State Farm that covers me for "any loss". I can't give you a $ per $ figure because I also have my wife's hearing aids and my son's laptop on that policy and the different classes of items go for different rates. My sense of it was that it was very competitive. State Farm has all of my insurance (home, cars, umbrella, etc.) so I don't know if they will write this kind of policy "stand alone".

Ken

Mike Dale
02-13-2008, 12:37 PM
My gear is currently insured on the same policy as the house etc. It is however not a professional photographer insurance. I'll check out the NANPA site.

Thanks

Jim Poor
02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
There is a lot of discussion on photography sites about how having your gear on the same policy as your house is a good way to get the policy canceled after a claim. I'd definitely do a lot of shopping around. Personally, I'm getting ready to spring for NANPA insurance, which has a minimum $350 premium.

Mike Boyce
02-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Mike, I too have a separate rider on my home insurance (Auto Owners) just for my cameras and electronics. They have a number of options. I have mine covered at replacement cost, which costs a bit more, but I strongly recommend it for digital camera bodies and electronics. And if you get such insurance, be sure to add your cell phone(s). I discovered that I could insure my cell phones for a small fraction of what I was paying my cell phone company, and I have a zero deductible policy! They do have different rates for professional photographers (those who earn 50% or more of their living via photography) semi pros, and amateurs.

For the record, I had my car broken into and my laptop and some miscellaneous photo equipment stolen :(. I replaced everything out-of-pocket (credit cards) that same day, and eventually, (6 months later - the insurance company wanted to be sure the police weren’t going to recover it before they paid out) they covered all my receipts and have never cancelled my policy. :)<O:p</O:p
<O:p
Don't wait; get it insured as soon as possible. You can always cancel a policy and get a prorated partial refund if you find a better insurance option later. You'll sleep better. :D<O:p
<O:p
Mike <O:p

Mike Dale
02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.