PDA

View Full Version : Austin Texas Photo Opportunities

Amanda Reed
10-20-2009, 09:12 AM
I'll be in Austin TX in November on business. I would tack on a day or two to the trip if there are any good bird photo opportunities... any ideas?

Mack Hicks
11-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I live in Austin. You can look at the Travis Audobon web site for some local places. Warbler Woods is a private reserve about an hour away, but I don't know what is there this time of the year. There is a very good bird blind at Perdnales State Park, also about an hour away, and Mike Murphy who is a former photo editor for one of the state magazines, has a private ranch with multiple blinds. His website is Los Madrones. You can private message me if you want and I will give you my phone number.

Jim Neely
11-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Hornsby Bend is a waste treatment facility and has quite a few ducks right now as well as several other species.

Zilker Park has a creek running through it into Lady Bird Lake (Colorado River) with lots of different water species. Quite often wood ducks are plentiful.

Central Park, 3900 Guadalupe, is a wetland area with several species. It's too early for wood duck ducklings, but there were a few wood ducks there the last time I checked.

Good luck.

jn