PDA

View Full Version : Lake of the Clouds

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Lake of the Clouds is in the Porcupine Mountains in Upper Michigan. A snow storm was moving in off of Lake Superior and 10 minutes later you could not see your hand. The gales of November came early.

Blended two images together
1d3
0.4sec@f/20
nd filter 3stop soft grad
iso 100
lend 17-40mm
tripod
AV

Jackie Schuknecht
10-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Very nice comp. Dennis. I think the blending of the images keeps the drama in the photo very nicely. I am surprized you had to blend even with the three stop filter. (I have one but haven't used it yet, so I really have no experience...... you would need to go even higher to get everything in one image)??

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey Curly,
Another nice one and I like the way you used the rock base and river to lead you through the image. My only recommendationon this is to even out the water a bit tonally by getting rid of the hottest spot......as its almost on the ROT line.....this will help minimize it as a distraction. Very nicely done overall and while some may find the blend a bit too much.....I happen to like it in this case.

Snow you say!.....I've got to get up there....snow with fall colors must be wild!!!

Morkel Erasmus
10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
another breathtaking shot from this location Curly - love the colours, depth and mood here.
I like the dramatic feel your blending has produced.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone. Jackie the lake was my sticking point and still is I have some work to do. Thanks Roman for your help and hoe you did good in Pennsylvania.

Morkel thanks and I wish I could see the cool thing in Africa, and thanks for sharing

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Here is a repost thanks Roman

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Hey Curly,
I dunno......think I'm more partial to the silvery look of the water....just patched in. Going crazy yet?....The jpeg compression may be killing th lighter area also.....I'd imagine the file was pretty big.....so lot's of coompression!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm already crazy so lets have more fun. Thanks for your help

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Me too!.....reminds me of a song line.....I think I'm crazy and so am I.....