PDA

View Full Version : Herring Gull long call

john jackson
10-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Taken on St Agnes, Isles of Scilly, England.
Canon 40D, 100-400mm @ 250mm, f8, 1/500, 400ASA.

Daniel Cadieux
10-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Dynamic pose...this guy looks quite angry!! You could reduce the amount of empty space above, and as posted the image would benefit from additional sharpening on the eye area (IMO).

Harshad Barve
10-20-2009, 09:40 AM
Loved the pose and compo
great advise by Daniel here ,
TFS

john jackson
10-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Daniel / Harshad and thanks.

Good tip about the eye area. I have others in the series with the bird higher in the frame, but I found this one more interesting. I enjoy non-standard compositions and this image, I felt, contained more dynamism with the extra space. I would be interested in others' opinion on this.

John

Brian Barcelos
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't mind the empty space. You got good detail and nice job on exposure and dof. Agree with Dan on sharpening the eye some more and I wished you were angled a little to the left to get a look down his throat. Congrats

john jackson
10-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks Brian

If you saw the drop to my left you would know why a profile was a good idea!

John

Daniel Cadieux
10-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi Daniel / Harshad and thanks.

Good tip about the eye area. I have others in the series with the bird higher in the frame, but I found this one more interesting. I enjoy non-standard compositions and this image, I felt, contained more dynamism with the extra space. I would be interested in others' opinion on this.

John

Hey John, thanks for adding your thoughts on the comp - always nice to hear the photographer's thought process. I actually like the idea of extra space above, just not as much (maybe 1/3 less would be about right - but of course it is highly subjective).