PDA

View Full Version : Hawk ID

Dave Walz
10-20-2009, 06:44 AM
I was in the back yard on Sunday, trying to photograph some songbirds, when this hawk landed in a near by tree. The lighting was terrible (very back lit). I did my best to adjust the photo, but in most of the photos the hawk has a very reddish look. Hawks are a little confusing to ID. So many of them look very much alike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Barcelos
10-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Dave, this is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. Good job on on bringing out the detail. Most likely he was trying to eat the little guys your taking pics of. Nice find.

Ilija Dukovski
10-20-2009, 08:55 AM
The keys here are the tail pattern and the brown back (no white rump).
3 broad dark bands and very short primaries reaching only the base of the tail
suggest this is juv. Cooper's or juv Sharp-shinned.
The difference between these two is in the size,
impossible to judge from a photo.
The tail tip on the bird is round with a fairly broad white band at the end
which suggests this is Cooper's juv.

John Chardine
10-20-2009, 10:17 AM
The yellow eye suggests a juv. bird.

Brian- could you explain why Coopers?

Would be useful to see the front side Dave- Coopers and Sharpys have different patterning.

Jeff Wear
10-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I agree 100% with Ilija size is the tell all my guess is juv coopers

John Chardine
10-20-2009, 10:45 AM
But how do you tell size from this image??

James Prudente
10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Broad white tail tip, long projection of the tail beyond the primaries and rounded tail lead me to Cooper's hawk.

Jim

Dave Brown
10-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey Guys,

My only experience with Coopers Hawks were in Montana 5 years ago now.They are non existant in Newfoundland,though we are always looking. If I recall on perched birds the relative position of the eye creates a different facial expression on Coopers vs Sharp-shinned. I belive this is subtle and only a character to be used by those who have extensive experience with both species. Can someone comment on this.

Dave Brown

Jeff Wear
10-20-2009, 05:18 PM
But how do you tell size from this image??
that was my point -size is the tell all and my Guess was coppers with only the hawk in the picture I could not tell for sure.

John Chardine
10-20-2009, 05:41 PM
10-4

Doug Hitchcox
10-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Size is always hard to judge but proportionately the head seems very large, so another vote for Coopers

Brian Barcelos
10-20-2009, 09:00 PM
John, my reason for suggesting Cooper's is because of the rounded tail, heavier looking beak and Cooper's always have that more serious look on their face. Sharpies eyes also look a bit large for their smallish heads. I'm no expert and those are just my ways of sorting them out when I can't get a real good idea at size.

Paul Lagasi
10-20-2009, 10:03 PM
My two cents...if it has a neck, Coopers.....no neck, Sharpie....I vote Coopers