PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska National Forest

ChasMcRae
10-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Strongly back-lit rounded hills laid bare by fire and reverting to grasslands.
The image was there and didn't quite do it justice ,so please let me know any improvements of this type of image.
And do not laugh it really was a National Forest !
Chas.

NebraskaNtlForest_09.jpg
File size: 154KB
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II
Camera serial number: 241625
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS4 Windows
Date/Time: 2009:10:06 19:49:11
Shutter speed: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 9
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Lens: 100 to 400mm
Focal length: 220mm
Image size: 800 x 431
Rotation: none
Color space: AdobeRGB
Color profile: Adobe RGB (1998)

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi Chas,
In future cases like this.....move that histogram left. The strength of digital is in the shadow areas......so it want to get detail in there....in this case i would move the histogram further away from the right and maybe even clip it on the left.....especially if I want a silhouette....we are taught to move the histogram all the way right....w/o clipping....in this case that rule made it look too washed out.
Was the scene closer to my re-post?......I ask because the strong rim lighting is what drew your eye......I had to severly tone down the brightness and levels........in camera this would have been an underexposure to get the look. Hope this helps.
BTW.....I like the layers and undulations of the grasses.....so even if it didn't quite look this way.....may be something to explore!

ChasMcRae
10-20-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for advice. The rim light was the pic ,but looking into haze and sun,actually looked close to my post. But Actually I like it closer to your post to accentuate the rim light. I also like how you brought out the patch of isolated color .
Thanks again for looking and advice.