PDA

View Full Version : Nova Scotia Sanderling

Stephen Stephen
02-12-2008, 07:50 PM
I created this image last August while in Nova Scotia. This bird was feeding along with a number of semi-palmated plovers, least sandpipers and the occasional juvenile piping plover.

Rebel XT, Sigma 50-500 Handheld, ExposureTime - 1/1250 seconds, FNumber - 8.00, ISO - 400. Fill flash and cropped to about 60% of full frame.

The BG is busy as there was a lot of washed up seaweed and eel grass but I like teh backlighting and I think that this one may have a good head angle. What do you think HAP?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Birds/PEEP1A.jpg

Art Peslak
02-12-2008, 08:01 PM
The bird is sharp but the background is too distracting for me. The exposure to a little too high key for me as well.

Jody Melanson
02-12-2008, 08:24 PM
The angle is great, the pose is fine. The light looks a little harsh and some whites look blown. Environment doesn't bother me too much, not one for printing, but nice.

Glenn Ehmke
02-13-2008, 12:24 AM
I love the washed up seaweed in this, tells me much more about the bird and it's habitat than a blank canvas, and the sand on the bill shown that it's just been having a forage.

Good job keeping the apature wide enough to get some of that detail and well done on getting down nice and low!

Stephen Stephen
03-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Thank you Art, Jody and Glenn. I did have a hard time dealing with the light (overcaste, sunny, overcaste etc.) that day. A for the angle, I had to dig sand out of my pockets the rest of the day.