PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Outcrop

Paul Burgess
10-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Hi all!

Here's a shot of some fall colour along the Niagara Escarpment. I like how the cedar is growing right on top of the rock!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NgELvbgT1k0/StkbZ3IEgWI/AAAAAAAABis/tEb1YhN8YPI/s800/Rocky%20Outcrop.jpg

Rebel XT, 24-105mm@105mm, f/4, ISO 200, 1/1000sec. (Not really your usual landscape settings, but it was a grab shot while on a walk with friends.)

Self critique - light not optimal, distracting OOF branch at the top of frame (I left it in because I prefer not to clone.)

Please tell me what you think!!

God bless!

- Paul

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Paul,
pretty good self critique! I will add....I don't feel the outcropping is strong enough of a subject to carry the scene as a focal point although it is placed well in the frame. I do wonder if a little better light would add some more depth to this with some shdows and that would help the outcropping some more.....my bet is not enough. While the colors make a nice diagonal they too aren't strong enough of an element to carry the scene either.......my only recomendation for next time out is to focus more on abstracts as these overall scenes are very difficult to compose w/o some strong element to give us a base or focal point.