PDA

View Full Version : Theme - Open - Owl Tree

Mark Fuge
10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
This image was from our visit to Merritt Island yesterday. I had decided to seek out some landscape image, as I usually shoot wildlife and birds. Along the way, I found this image on a tree. (For those of you who wonder thru MINWR, it is near the Eagle nest where the naturalist usually is located during the season. Within about 1/4 mile of that area on the left side of the road.) I never noticed it before, so don't know how long I missed it. But had to shoot while I had it in my viewfinder. ;)

The Owl is a nature image as is the tree, so I figured it fit this weeks theme! ;)

Modifications include Dry Brush, Colored Spot, Poster Edge, Diffused Glass, Ink Outline and Angled Strokes.

Enjoy!

denise ippolito
10-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Mark, I do see the owl in there! I would love to see the original. Very natural look even w/ all those filters.

Christopher Miller
10-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Very nice, Mark. The owl resemblance is astounding! Like the colors. I think I would prefer for the bit of BG on the left to be just a smooth gradient.

Harshad Barve
10-20-2009, 12:20 AM
beautiful base image and great treatment
TFS

Indranil Sircar
10-20-2009, 01:55 AM
I can see the owl. Very nice image.

Julie Kenward
10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Very cool, Mark...I love that you "saw" the owl in the tree. I wonder also what this would look like in a straight sepia?

Mark Fuge
10-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks all for viewing and comments. Appreciate it.

Mark, I do see the owl in there! I would love to see the original. Very natural look even w/ all those filters.

No problem Denise, Your wish is granted. ;)

The attached is the overall view with the tree. I was too close to get the whole tree in, even with the 35mm setting on the zoom, but hopefully this will give you some idea of the owl placement. The submitted image was a separate close up shot. I posted this one to show the tree to those who desired. It is unretouched, except for the frame and ©.

Yes, I just did minor filter adjustments, on the submittal, but it helped a little in my view. I didn't want to spoil the subject too much.

Enjoy! ;)

Dave Phillips
10-20-2009, 11:37 AM
nice....I really like the original.
Maybe some OOTB pp work to enhance the owl only....the op version is nice too,
but cropped a bit too tight (IMHO) to appreciate the owl vision as a part of the tree

Mark Fuge
10-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks for viewing and comments Dave. Appreciate it.

May take another shot at it later. Didn't want to include the tree in the original, as the owl image was the subject, but appreciate your vision and will see what develops in the "lightroom".

All visions are welcome and appreciated. That is what art is for, to challenge our visions.

Enjoy!

denise ippolito
10-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Neat original image and the tree has alot of interest.

Cheryl Slechta
10-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Mark, what a neat image and tree! I agree with Dave - more tree would make him look like he's sitting
higher up in the tree surveying his domain. But I also like the close up look as is.:)

Mark Fuge
10-20-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks Denise, appreciate the second viewing and comment.

Mark, what a neat image and tree! I agree with Dave - more tree would make him look like he's sitting higher up in the tree surveying his domain. But I also like the close up look as is.:)

Thanks Cheryl for viewing and iyour comment. As noted, I was too close to get the full tree and got the image I was after, after finding it. Actually, I didn't see it until we were right next to it. It is rather low in the tree, about window height of the drivers side of the car. No need to go after what is right there! But when we go back I will shoot one from across the road for those who wish to see the whole (as much as possible) tree. Not sure when that will be as we made a day out of it and went to KSC also. That was our intent but we always enjoy driving the wildlife refuge when we are in the area. Never know what you will see, as noted here.