PDA

View Full Version : Iceland scene

Tom Dolezal
10-19-2009, 03:37 PM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_69I4042-Edit.jpg

Just edited some shots from earlier in the year and came across this one. There was no more space available in the fg - apart via PS creativity - due to a roadway which is just out of frame.

Technical: Canon 1Ds Mk3, Canon 16-35mm Mk2, focal length 19mm, f/11, 1/125, 0 EV, ISO 100, 0 EV, AV mode

C&C always welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Joe Senzatimore
10-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Stunning as is. Perhaps a bit of CC rotation , or it may be just me.

Julie Kenward
10-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Boy, this is gorgeous but I do feel the need for a little more FG in the center of the image. I'd consider adding just a small touch of canvas at the bottom to strengthen and anchor the FG. I also wonder if the sun were just off center a bit more if that would help the comp even more?

That sky and water are stunning, though. It's a rare photograph that makes you feel like you are RIGHT THERE and this is one of them. I am going to have to go get a cup of hot cocoa now!

Dave Mills
10-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Hi Tom, Beautifully exposed image with great light. The sun is offset and doesn't really bother me where it is. If you moved it you would have to crop areas that have no room to be cropped. I would have liked to see a bit more room in the foreground and the 2 snowbanks on the sides. All in all a nicely handled image!!

Jackie Schuknecht
10-20-2009, 09:14 AM
Bit more of the banks showing might have been ideal, but love the feel and light in this one.

Roman Kurywczak
10-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi Tom,
I see the roadway didn't allow more FG......so I am OK with it as presented and considering that also.....you kept enough in to get the entire curve. I love the cool tones in this one.......while I may want a bit of lightening in the sky (it may be something to explore).....I fear it may also take away from the wonderful mood of the overall image. I am also OK with the sun placement and the way it is framed by the clouds.....very well done!

Tom Dolezal
10-21-2009, 02:13 AM
Stunning as is. Perhaps a bit of CC rotation , or it may be just me.

Thank you very much for commenting Joe. The shot was set up with a bubble mounted on the body and hence the body was level. I think the problem is as there is no distinct shoreline - due to ice, reflection, curved shore - in the mid ground to use as a reference point.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
10-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Boy, this is gorgeous but I do feel the need for a little more FG in the center of the image. I'd consider adding just a small touch of canvas at the bottom to strengthen and anchor the FG. I also wonder if the sun were just off center a bit more if that would help the comp even more?

That sky and water are stunning, though. It's a rare photograph that makes you feel like you are RIGHT THERE and this is one of them. I am going to have to go get a cup of hot cocoa now!

Thank you for for commenting Julie - much appreciated.

I follow your point re the fg and if that had been possible at the time of shooting I also would have gone for a bit more - but that wasn't to be. Personally not a great fan of canvas adding as it is a bit too much manipulation for my tastes.

As for the sun's offset I would consider that is always going to be a down to personal taste.

Tom

Tom

Tom Dolezal
10-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi Tom, Beautifully exposed image with great light. The sun is offset and doesn't really bother me where it is. If you moved it you would have to crop areas that have no room to be cropped. I would have liked to see a bit more room in the foreground and the 2 snowbanks on the sides. All in all a nicely handled image!!

Thanks for your comments Dave - much appreciated.

As it was not possible to have more fg when the shot was taken, I felt it best to try to keep a reasonably tight frame on LH & RH to have a consistency with the bottom.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Bit more of the banks showing might have been ideal, but love the feel and light in this one.

Thanks for commenting Jackie - much appreciated. I have just replied to Dave Mills regarding the reasoning on LH & RH banks.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Tom,
I see the roadway didn't allow more FG......so I am OK with it as presented and considering that also.....you kept enough in to get the entire curve. I love the cool tones in this one.......while I may want a bit of lightening in the sky (it may be something to explore).....I fear it may also take away from the wonderful mood of the overall image. I am also OK with the sun placement and the way it is framed by the clouds.....very well done!

Thanks for popping in and commenting Roman. It was a very moody scene anyway and I feel that this moody feel was enhanced by the Singh Ray reverse grad filter which I was experimenting with for the 1st time. Not sure if this is the correct effect when using that filter but the image works for me.

Tom

Morkel Erasmus
10-23-2009, 04:48 PM
this is very nice - does make you feel like you're right there. gorgeous solar burst and colour tones here. lack of more FG not troublesome to me, and I like the reflections.

Tom Dolezal
10-24-2009, 01:53 PM
this is very nice - does make you feel like you're right there. gorgeous solar burst and colour tones here. lack of more FG not troublesome to me, and I like the reflections.

Thank you - glad you like it.

Tom